Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone drink alcohol without having problems ?

Question Does anyone drink alcohol without having problems ?

Last times I had a glass of wine or a beer were terrible so i thought id share my experience here.
    Im paraplegic , t9 21yo. Had a glass and the next day my bladder went crazy.
    Yesterday I had only one glass of wine and today my bladder is upset all the time.
    Im currently in Uropan medication, (oxyboutinin).

Has anyone had this kind of experience and is there a way to cure this ?

PS: dont think that it might be an infection since i just got off antibiotics ciprinol for seven days and felt really safe the day before drinking.

I drink one or two almost daily. Only consequence is that alcohol temporarily slows my urine production. Even beer.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I drink one or two almost daily. Only consequence is that alcohol temporarily slows my urine production. Even beer.
    Same here, a half to a bottle of wine (or equivalent) a day with no affect on my bladder but a slowing of urine production if I over do it at a party or whatever.

As the old tried saying goes, "I drink, I fall down, no problem" though, besides the usual effects that alcohol causes there are no noticeable sensations that I can correlate to a neurogenic bladder and alcohol.

But I drink mostly whiskey and occasionally the beer because of the requirement for intermittent catheterization and rarely drink anywhere but home when the club comes over.

When I used to drink beers with an external catheter instead of the intermittent, as was noted above, urine production slows, but I always drank at least a pint or two of water before going to bed and would put out a lot of urine in the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Martiniani77 View Post

Last times I had a glass of wine or a beer were terrible so i thought id share my experience here.
    Im paraplegic , t9 21yo. Had a glass and the next day my bladder went crazy.
    Yesterday I had only one glass of wine and today my bladder is upset all the time.
    Im currently in Uropan medication, (oxyboutinin).

Has anyone had this kind of experience and is there a way to cure this ?

PS: dont think that it might be an infection since i just got off antibiotics ciprinol for seven days and felt really safe the day before drinking.
    Just because you were on an antibiotic doesn't necessarily mean you are infection free. If the wrong antibiotic and/or too short of a course was prescribed, you could still have bacteria in the urine. Urinary tract infections in spinal cord injured should be treated as complex infections. A urinalysis (UA) and a culture & sensitivity (C&S) should be done to determine the type of bacteria causing the infection and the best antibiotic to treat it. Then a 12-14 day course of antibiotics should be prescribed. After the course of antibiotics has ended, you should wait 2-3 days, then have another UA and C&S to determine if the infection persists. All too often cipronol or ciprofloxacin (Cipro) is prescribed for any and all bacteria. Cipro is a broad spectrum antibiotic that should be reserved for the most stubborn of urinary tract infections. Genrally, if a C&S is done, a doctor will be able to select a more targeted antibiotic. Bacteria resistance to antibiotics is becoming a big problem world wide.

That said, my comments have nothing to do with why you have the reaction you do to alcohol, except to say that antibiotics are a strong assault on the body.

do you have a neurogenic bladder? might be worth talking to your urologist about to see if they can get you a med (like myrbetrique). be honest with him about it

oxyboutinin - Alcohol: Avoid. Very serious interactions can occur

Quote Originally Posted by juniorsenior View Post
    oxyboutinin - Alcohol: Avoid. Very serious interactions can occur
    Can you elaborate?

Drugs.com: "Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking oxybutynin."

Health Line.com: "You shouldn’t drink alcohol while taking oxybutynin. Alcohol can increase your chance of serious side effects, such as drowsiness and dizziness. Alcohol can also aggravate your overactive bladder symptoms."

Medlineplus.gov: "talk to your doctor about the safe use of alcohol while you are taking this medication. Alcohol can make the side effects from oxybutynin worse."

MCI urology.com:
    What medicines can interact with oxybutynin?

•alcohol
    •some medicines for gastrointestinal problems
    •medicines for mental problems and psychotic disturbances
    •medicines for movement abnormalities as in Parkinson's disease
    •medicines for pain or sleep

Last edited by gjnl; 02-28-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Yeah. Like virtually all SCI medications it's a CNS suppressant. I punched out into Epocrates. It doesn't go with most of these other drugs I'm on. Remember no tramadol with lyrica or baclofen either.