Thread: back rods for scoliosis

back rods for scoliosis

C6-7 Jay3 back; quadtro cushion - I have a long upper torso. Two years ago, my left leg was dropped and something popped in the left side of my lower back in between the ribs and hip area. Supposedly, the MRI shows nothing wrong except for severe scoliosis now. My stomach region is bulging out my left side. I am constantly sitting forward and trying to manually shove it back in. It just keeps pulling left. The right side in between my ribs and hip is caved in.

Are there any methods to get this back in place?

I used to wear a binder, but it does not work anymore. I basically can't go anywhere or do anything now. If I do, it just tightens up and gets worse for a few days. I have become a shut in, which I severely hate.

My psychiatrist says all she can do is refer me to an orthopedic doctor. I have read a few things about back rods and it freaks me out! I don't want that.

Does anyone wear a brace for this Or has had this happen ?

Is there a test that I can take to pinpoint the problem?

You need to be seen for an evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon who specializes in spinal surgery.

Instrumentation and/or fusion can sometimes be used to treat scoliosis, but not always, and of course there are risks with any surgery, including further cord damage. Bracing may be possible, depending on how advanced the scoliosis is, and how long it has existed, but bracing like this carries some significant risks for skin breakdown and even AD when wearing the brace.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    C6-7 Jay3 back; quadtro cushion - I have a long upper torso. Two years ago, my left leg was dropped and something popped in the left side of my lower back in between the ribs and hip area. Supposedly, the MRI shows nothing wrong except for severe scoliosis now. My stomach region is bulging out my left side. I am constantly sitting forward and trying to manually shove it back in. It just keeps pulling left. The right side in between my ribs and hip is caved in.

Are there any methods to get this back in place?

I used to wear a binder, but it does not work anymore. I basically can't go anywhere or do anything now. If I do, it just tightens up and gets worse for a few days. I have become a shut in, which I severely hate.

My psychiatrist says all she can do is refer me to an orthopedic doctor. I have read a few things about back rods and it freaks me out! I don't want that.

Does anyone wear a brace for this Or has had this happen ?

Is there a test that I can take to pinpoint the problem?
    i ghave a similiar but maybe not so bad but i put a round towel or ppillow to strech the left side as that is my tight side i lay on right side and it shoves it open but its hard to get it right by your self

Blog Entries
    i too have a long torso and severe scoliosis - they put some lateral supports on my chair and straightended me up. really helped