Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotel ADA Sinks

Hotel ADA Sinks

We are planning a trip to Southern California to tour the Nixon and Reagan Libraries. So we are looking for hotels in or near Yorba Linda and Simi Valley. NL contacted an Ayres Hotel in Yorba Linda and asked the General Manager to send a picture of the bathroom sink and provide measurements on a drawing she sent with her request. The General Manager was super cooperative and sent the picture as soon as the room was vacated by the then current guests. NL has annotated the picture with the measurements provided. (See below)

The height of the sink is fine, but 17 inches from the wall to the edge of the sink leaves most of my lap exposed (toes touching the wall) making it difficult to wash my hands and face and rinse after brushing my teeth. It seems the hospitality industry is going to this sink in their ADA rooms, (which only meets the minimum standard) with greater frequency. Last fall we stayed at the Hyatt in Valencia, a lovely hotel, but they had the same sink. It was very uncomfortable for me to use. I am tall, long legs, deep lap, I just can't get close enough to the sink. There is little space to stage a cup, tooth brush, and toiletries, no counter top space. I've looked at the drawings depicting ADA requirements in public accommodations and 17 inches, wall to the edge of sink, meets the minimal standards. I'm wondering why the standards have been shaved this close. There are wall mounted sinks that once were very popular in public accommodations. The overall width of that sink is 27 inches. What happened to that other 10 inches, (in the ADA standards) which is just what I need to sit comfortably at the sink? The answer certainly is cost and hotel designers not understanding wheelchair user needs.

Now we are back to square one looking for a hotel with a suitable sink.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by gjnl; 02-28-2017 at 07:49 PM.

We have stayed in many, many hotels and we never once thought about the sink. Roll in shower, toilet height and depth, bed height, etc. there have been times when my son had to roll up a bit side ways to the sink in order to use it. We usually put a bedroom chair in the bathroom with a tray on it to use for extra counter space. If we are doing a road trip,we take a fold up t.v. Tray that works in the bathroom IF the bathroom is large enough. We have found that the perfect hotel room does not exist for a wheelchair user. Some are way better than others, however we have learned to just roll with it. Wishing you the best of luck in your trip!

The roll in shower and the toilet height are of little use to me. Mostly, I do a bed bath and we take my commode chair with us for bowel programs. Sinks are a biggie for me.

I'm irritated because ADA minimal standards are just that MINIMAL! And, hotels will opt to the minimal, cheapest standard.

Everyone needs are different and when you are talking traveling just be a little flexible and enjoy the trip dont get caught up in details.

Learn to adapt if the sink is so sort use the corner and come in at an angle. If that still doesnt work just use a wash cloth or hand wipes in a more convent location.

Hotels are never going to be as comfortable as your home and they are not intended to. Thats why after traveling we will say from time to time...There is no place like home!

It took a little persistence, but the Hampton Inn and Suites in Thousand Oaks, CA sent this picture and measurements.

The sink is 23-3/4 inches from the wall and 29-3/8 inches from the countertop of the sink to the floor. Perfect! AND...there is counter space! Immediately cancelled the reservation at the other hotel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What an awesome sink.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    What an awesome sink.
    I absolutely agree. It just shows that some hotel chains get it while other just don't.

You don't have to settle for what you get and make it work, no matter the discomfort to you. But, you do have to work to make the hotel chains respond to your requests for information so you can make a decision for yourself on where to spend your money.

The sink at the hotel in Yorba Linda is my idea of camping out (in my SCI life). When I camped out (in my former life), I knew I had to make do. When I am spending a good amount of money on lodging accommodations, I want to make sure I am going to be comfortable.

Sorry "Roll Positive," I don't need to be uncomfortable and make do in pubic lodging accommodations to appreciate my home.

Fantastic sink and love the design and materials used.
    Surprised that they didn't wrap some insulation around the drain pipe as I thought that was part of ADA regs to protect the legs from hot water draining. Or, perhaps it's "offset plumbing" that's recommended - I'm not sure.
    In any case, the Hampton Inn deserves a medal for this sink.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Everyone needs are different and when you are talking traveling just be a little flexible and enjoy the trip dont get caught up in details.

Learn to adapt if the sink is so sort use the corner and come in at an angle. If that still doesnt work just use a wash cloth or hand wipes in a more convent location.

Hotels are never going to be as comfortable as your home and they are not intended to. Thats why after traveling we will say from time to time...There is no place like home!
    Agreed. Just improvise, adapt, and overcome when traveling.
    6/18/00: T-5 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rock517 View Post
    Agreed. Just improvise, adapt, and overcome when traveling.
    It isn't always that easy. or that simple. Your abilities may allow you to be that sanguine. Others with differing abilities might be greatly burdened by inaccessible bathroom accommodations.
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-22-2017 at 04:38 PM.