Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Positioning Support System for shoulder pain

Shoulder Positioning Support System for shoulder pain

Hello,

I stumbled onto something recently that has really been making a big difference for me over the last few weeks. I'm a C-4 ? C-5 quadriplegic since 1985 and over the last couple of years I've slowly, but gradually have been dealing with increasing shoulder pain when sleeping. It eventually got bad enough to where I couldn't sleep on either shoulder and had to sleep on my back which I find to be nearly impossible for me to get a good nights sleep on.

Then I stumbled onto this Shoulder Positioning Support System on Amazon and it's making a huge difference for me. It's pretty self-explanatory when you look at its product page, which is complete with pictures. I've been able to sleep on both sides with it and as long as I'm positioned correctly on it my shoulders don't get hurt. I'm now consistently getting decent sleep more than I have in a long time. It's really refreshing not being afraid to get in my bed to go to sleep at night.

So I just thought I would share this discovery in case it might be useful to anybody else. Here's a link to the product page.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paul
    C4-C5 Quad since 9/15/85

This does look interesting as I've been dealing with nocturnal shoulder pain for a long time. One of the immediate benefits I see is that when lying on the side with the bad shoulder the tapered wedge supporting the upper body elevates the area immediately below the shoulder joint and kind of suspends it in the molded trough, alleviating the weight on the point of the shoulder which is a notorious point for rotator cuff irritation.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by Yor View Post
    I'm a C-4 ? C-5 quadriplegic since 1985 and over the last couple of years I've slowly, but gradually have been dealing with increasing shoulder pain when sleeping. It eventually got bad enough to where I couldn't sleep on either shoulder and had to sleep on my back which I find to be nearly impossible for me to get a good nights sleep on.

Then I stumbled onto this Shoulder Positioning Support System on Amazon and it's making a huge difference for me. It's pretty self-explanatory when you look at its product page, which is complete with pictures. I've been able to sleep on both sides with it and as long as I'm positioned correctly on it my shoulders don't get hurt. I'm now consistently getting decent sleep more than I have in a long time. It's really refreshing not being afraid to get in my bed to go to sleep at night.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EVQRLWKE&psc=1

Paul
    Thanks Paul! I was just looking at that same product on Amazon (one year later). I am worried because it is so expensive and a lot of folks said it did not work for them, caused pain in other places. I might not feel the pain and probably get a pressure sore if it's wrong for me. I am guessing you have been using it for a year. How is it holding up? I was injured in 1985 too (C5/6). Since that pillow works for you, I guess I will buy it. It would be worth the $150 to sleep without shoulder pain, and I can just return it if it causes other problems.

Shoulder pain while sleeping is new to me. But I just "cured" my sleep apnea by switching from back sleeping to side sleeping, Amazing! But now I have to try to solve the bad shoulder pain that comes with side sleeping. I found this other way to relieve shoulder pressure, with a buckwheat pillow. I got one and used it last night, just to prop my back up, but it caused a sore near my tailbone. I want to try to set up my bed the way they do in this video. I just have to manage a colostomy bag and sp catheter with it.

@SCI-Nurse: Will this work for quads too? (PT's have told me for years to sleep this way, but I ignored them, until now when I find it actually stops my sleep apnea.)
    Start at 3:00...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjGN8GlnbEw

Paul, what do you use to prop up your back and stay on your side? Is it anything like the above video?

"The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

Unfortunately the link that was provided on this thread in February 2017 says the system is "currently unavailable" and it is not known when it will be back in stock.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Unfortunately the link that was provided on this thread in February 2017 says the system is "currently unavailable" and it is not known when it will be back in stock.
    My post has this updated link. The product is still available:

I'm hoping to hear from Paul (Yor) before I buy it.
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave View Post
    Note: This product comes in both "Firm" and "Medium". I almost ordered "firm" by mistake. My other link was for "Firm". Here is the link for "Medium" which they say is for 131-250 lbs. I have called the company 602-809-2039 to see if they have a "Soft" version and to see if I can cut the foam to customize the shape if needed.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...EVQRLWKE&psc=1
    --Eckhart Tolle

I wonder if a wedge pillow could be cut/altered if $ is an issue? Just a thought

Here is a similar product. Not cheap. https://www.amazon.com/MedCline-Acid...dcline+pillows

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Anyone with shoulder pain should look into this clinical study. My shoulders are shot and I get cortisone shots every three months to sleep at night. I had this procedure done with Lipo Gems on my right shoulder. It feels bran new and it is priceless. check it out.
    They are recruiting again for this study. It is on clinicaltrials.gov. Here is the information.
    ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03167138
    Recruitment Status : Recruiting First Posted : May 25, 2017
    Last Update Posted : August 21, 2017
    See Contacts and Locations

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave View Post
    My post has this updated link. The product is still available:

So sorry! I didn't get notified of replies although I swear I remember setting it to do that.

I actually used that pillow/shoulder support system successfully for just over a year before taking a break from it about a week ago. It just didn't seem as effective as it had been for the last year. It might've just gotten too flattened if you get my meaning. So I went to purchase another one and ran into the "Currently Unavailable" thing. Then I did some Googling and found this thread again.

From what I can tell it seems like the best option, especially when you factor in the price. It worked very well for me for at least a year. Now there's the problem of where to get another one?

So from one Quad to another one I definitely recommend at least trying one for side sleeping, if you can find one.

-Paul
    C4-C5 Quad since 9/15/85