Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible pinched nerve/syrinx

Possible pinched nerve/syrinx

Hi all, first post ever. I have read the site on and of for a few years.

My issue i am hoping to get some feedback on is this: I had a c6-c7 complete injury in 2007. i have been pretty stable muscle wise since my injury. I have(had) maybe 30% strength in my right tricep and 40%ish in my left. Also wrist flexion on both sides but not full(pre injury) strength but no finger movement. I have been trying to excersize more lately. I dont remember any specific moment that my tricep lost strength. In recent weeks my left tricep is down to almost 0 strength but still a tiny bit and my left wrist flexion strength is significantly reduced. Also my left shoulder during transfers seems weaker but i cant tell which muscle specifically.
    I have an appointment with my GP for friday.
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 03-26-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Clarify title of thread

Quote Originally Posted by greenseed View Post
    Hi all, first post ever. I have read the site on and of for a few years.

My issue i am hoping to get some feedback on is this: I had a c6-c7 complete injury in 2007. i have been pretty stable muscle wise since my injury. I have(had) maybe 30% strength in my right tricep and 40%ish in my left. Also wrist flexion on both sides but not full(pre injury) strength but no finger movement. I have been trying to excersize more lately. I dont remember any specific moment that my tricep lost strength. In recent weeks my left tricep is down to almost 0 strength but still a tiny bit and my left wrist flexion strength is significantly reduced. Also my left shoulder during transfers seems weaker but i cant tell which muscle specifically.
    I have an appointment with my GP for friday.
    The one time I had pinched nerve, in my neck going down my arm, the pain was excruciating. I eventually found some relief from a chiropracter. ( Using gentle pressure, not forceful manipulation.)

Don't know if that helps but the pain is one clear memory I recall from a pinched nerve.

Thanks for the reply ChesBay. I dont seem to have much pain due to this other than my neck muscles on the left being a bit tighter/sore. Did you see a neurologist to determine what to do with it and they recommended a chiro?

Also ChesBay, did you have any function loss during this time or just pain?

Quote Originally Posted by greenseed View Post
    Also ChesBay, did you have any function loss during this time or just pain?
    I don't recall any loss of function. The pain kept me from using my arm for anything that wasn't absolutely neccessary.

My SCI is at the thoracic level so I would be careful about letting a chiropractor manipulate anywhere near my level of injury.

When you see your GP should you perhaps ask about the possibility of a syrinx? Since you felt changes after undertaking an excercize program hopefully it is something related to that.

SCI nurse might have some ideas about possible causes.

The first thing that comes to min for m is a possible syrinx. After that, since I am not sure of your level of pain sensation, I might think a pinched nerve. However, pain is one of the indicators of this. You probably need to be seen by a neurologist or a SCI doc for further evaluation.
    ckf

Thanks SCInurse. I have not felt any pain from this other than my left shoulder and neck muscles seem tighter and more sore than normal. I could never feel my tricep since injury even though i have muscle movement. i think i have c6 and up sensation as i can feel my thumb and forefinger but not others. I will be seeing my SCI doc next thursday and i have had a an assessment by him on my muscle strength in october so he will be able to tell exactly the strength i have lost since then.

Let us know what is going on.
    Good luck!
    ckf

So i saw my SCI doc yesterday and he referred me to get an MRI which i will be getting on monday March 6th. He compared my muscle strength to my October strength and noted a severe decrease in my tricep and wrist flexor as well as my tenodesis strength all on the left side. He won't be able to determine what the issue is until the MRI is done obviously so i dont know if is a pinched nerve or a syrinx or something else. This has been really hard on me cuz my transfers are so weak right now. I nearly fell transferring off of the commode today. I have inquired with my PT/OT about getting a lift as i dont know if my transfers will be getting worse. It seems like they are. This is really depressing

My left pec and shoulder are very weak too. My transfers are more like slides than lifts now. Im not sure but my right side seems to be weakening too. Not sure if it's just getting overworked due to overcompensating. I am really scared at the moment. I dont know if i can live like this if my strength doesnt return. I had a hard enough time mentally and physically before this rapid strength loss. I hope i can get some answers very soon after this MRI today.