Thread: Airline Travel with my Power Chair

Airline Travel with my Power Chair

Hi everyone, have not posted in quite a while!
    I will soon be traveling by plane, something I haven't done in many years and first time with a power chair. Any tips on how to protect my chair from little or no damage by airlines. I hear night-mare stories.
    Thank you!!
    Riz

OK we fly a bunch...i always take my roho,headrest and anything else that comes off easily like footrests and have them taken into cabin of plane and stored. I have a paper printed before hand that gets taped to chair explaining that the gel batteries DO NOT need to be disconnected and NO WIRING has to be unplugged.

Thanks for the info air ohs!

Here is a recent discussion about preparing a Permobil for an airline flight.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...l-airline-prep

We travel monthly and we dont like to take anything off other then my headrest.

Once you start taking parts off there is chance you might forget, others toss language in and break your parts or bend.

We tell others not to be in a rush give yourself time to check in and talk with the ground crew to explain how your chair works and breaks down, free wheels, seat back reclines or forward reclines etc.

If you can self transfer to the seat plan great if you need an isle chair and help let the ground crew know.

Sit back relax and enjoy!

When I travel with my son, I bring a big bag of bubble wrap and tape as well as an old thick comforter. Some airlines, like Southwest, have to lay the chair on its side, so I ask them to put it on the comforter. I wrap the electronics in bubble wrap. I show the handlers how to unlock the chair when the power's off. Call ahead to ask how the chair will be delivered to you... we've always had it returned at the jetway, but a friend of ours traveled to Boston, and they took the chair all the way to baggage claim! The poor gal was transported on that rickety aisle wheelchair all the way through the concourse to baggage claim. When asked why they did that, they said, "We're not fancy like Portland." I hope that story is a one-off... terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by looopy View Post
    When I travel with my son, I bring a big bag of bubble wrap and tape as well as an old thick comforter. Some airlines, like Southwest, have to lay the chair on its side, so I ask them to put it on the comforter. I wrap the electronics in bubble wrap. I show the handlers how to unlock the chair when the power's off. Call ahead to ask how the chair will be delivered to you... we've always had it returned at the jetway, but a friend of ours traveled to Boston, and they took the chair all the way to baggage claim! The poor gal was transported on that rickety aisle wheelchair all the way through the concourse to baggage claim. When asked why they did that, they said, "We're not fancy like Portland." I hope that story is a one-off... terrible.
    When you check in at the ticket counter you should be getting a claim check showing "bring to gate" Also when you get out of the chair in the jetway the ground crew should be meeting you to take the chair. Do not let anyone take the chair but them. Remind them again to radio to the ground crew at the airport your arriving to to bring to gate.

Just before you land remind the flight attendants to have your chair brought to the gate. They will let the opps agent that opens the door to radio to the ground crew.

You also need to specify to all ground crew not to fly or load chairs in there side as it crushes the armrest tubes and damages rims and paint.

But if you dont mention it they will do it to save time and space!

Should not need bubble wrap because the chairs fly in there own bins.