Thanks everyone. Don had an appointment with his wound people this morning. The wound was closing and becoming more shallow but this morning it was worse. And yes... it is a life or death decision. I have tried to stress that to him. He MUST stay off the wound and out of his chair at the very least. The wound genesis was as a result of a skin staph infection with lesions on his lower extremities. He was on a course of Bactrim and they pretty much cleared up, except he was obsessed with the lesions and kept picking at them. The one on his right buttock he didn't pick at but when I looked at it a couple of months ago, it was tenting. I begged him to go to the wound people and he sat on the wound for a week before going in. By then they debrided it and it was already tunneling at that time... About the size of a quarter and about 2 cm deep. They tried packing it and that helped a little but now he is on a wound vac. This morning I noticed the appearance of a stage 1 area outside of the sacrum wound and inferior to the buttock wound... The skin is still intact but it doesn't look good. The wound care people sent him to the VA wheelchair clinic (where he got his chair and cushion) for emergency evaluation. I am home in Colorado Mondays and Tuesdays and Wednesday mornings and then I go to my job at the University of Chicago on Wednesday afternoons and work there Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I teach at the Med School and do research there. I'm hoping that his wound is not infected but I suspect it is... His insurance outside the VA is good but if this goes south, which I think it is, then I think he should be evaluated at the VA. Yes... the odds are against him with or without treatment. I was his caregiver for 12 years after injury to the detriment of my profession and now that I have a really good faculty position, his condition is deteriorating because I am not there. While I was taking care of Don for those 12 years, he did really well...but his age and this wound/skin issue is really taking a toll. Thanks Patrick for sharing your story... it is appreciated more than you know.

Sieg