It's been a while since I've posted. My partner has a Stage 4 ulcer on his right upper buttock that has been there for about 2 months. I travel extensively for my career. He was injured in 2005 and for the first 11 years I was home and never traveled. Now I am gone for 5 days at a time and home for 2 days. Don is T11 Asia A. He can provide his own care but this skin issue has really affected his strength and endurance. He sees his wound care people 2 times a week and at those visits they change the dressings. He is unable to change them himself. They have him on a wound vac.

They are asking him to consider having surgery for a flap and he is refusing. He refuses to stay out of his chair and refuses surgery if it means he will have to stay out of his chair.

He is 74 years old. He essentially lives by himself for 5 days out of 7. The wound care is way beyond my expertise.

Can someone live with a stage 4 wound without closing it? Or do they eventually require closing? He is very depressed about the situation and refuses any home nursing.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.