Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Partner with first major pressure sore... not doing well.

If he is an eligible SCI Veteran, he should be seen at the VA SCI Clinic in Denver. Unfortunately their SCI Center is not yet open, but they can refer him to the VA SCI Center which covers this area (Albuquerque currently) and they can do a telehealth video consultation from their clinic to the wound care staff at the Albuquerque VA. This would help determine if he should be referred to that facility for surgical management (only VA SCI Centers are supposed to do surgical wound management for SCI Veterans).

(KLD)

Thanks baldfatdad... I will pass this onto Don. Thanks KLD... I have been trying to get Don to agree to see the Denver VA for a second opinion... but he is resistant... He only uses them for his medications.

I wanted to give you all an update on Don. The MRI was unremarkable... so that's good. They cultured again and the wound is sterile. He has a consult with a plastic surgeon on Monday to see about closing the wound. I know he will be told that he MUST stay off the site but who knows. Yes... he is a vet and has had a SCI consult at the Denver VA but doesn't like going there. I asked him to consider a consult there for a second opinion before allowing anyone to close the site. The wound looks better, smaller and not as deep but it's a very slippery slope. I really appreciate all the feedback and concern. I will keep you all posted.

bottom line is he needs stay off of it or it will get worse again i am glad things are looking better however he needs to continue whatever he is currently doing and stay off of it.
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

If he agrees to get a re-evaluation and treatment at a VA, the treatment and possibly most of the post-op recovery can be done on an inpatient basis. Huge difference in coverage options for VA vs Non-VA insurance beneficiaries. Home care is going to circle around to having you in the "watchtower" role again.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by ergvepeog View Post
    ... The wound looks better, smaller and not as deep but it's a very slippery slope. I really appreciate all the feedback and concern. I will keep you all posted.
    We haven't heard from you for two weeks, ergvepeog. How's it going?
    Female, T9 incomplete

Hi everyone... Don had a consult with a plastic surgery MD a couple of weeks ago. He talked about doing several procedures to close the wound but advised against it for the time being. The wound was debrided by the plastic surgeon and I watched as he did it and he was great. They have changed the dressing protocols several times and the wound is getting better. It was 5 cm deep and now is 3 cm. The diameter has gone from 3 cm to 2 cm. Don has had a nutrition consult and is eating more protein and is on and off courses of Augmenten. He is seeing wound care 2 times a week and changing the dressing QOD. He is seeing the plastics guy once a month. Don is adamant about not having surgery but he may be forced to do this. He is staying out of his chair as much as possible. It's a wait and see situation. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks so much for your help and concern.

Hi everyone... here is an update on Don... his wound is smaller in diameter but has gotten deeper. It's tunneled to 6 cm. Home healthcare will be coming in everyday to change the dressing. They want him in the hospital but he is refusing. He will see wound care again next week. It most definitely is depressing for him. I have asked him to register for care cure but he shows no interest. I wish that I could wave a magic wand but I can't. He is 12 years out from injury and now the chickens are coming home to roost. I have tried talking to him but he won't even talk about it... in denial for sure. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all the feedback...
    Sieg

Quote Originally Posted by ergvepeog View Post
    Hi everyone... here is an update on Don... his wound is smaller in diameter but has gotten deeper. It's tunneled to 6 cm. Home healthcare will be coming in everyday to change the dressing. They want him in the hospital but he is refusing. He will see wound care again next week. It most definitely is depressing for him. I have asked him to register for care cure but he shows no interest. I wish that I could wave a magic wand but I can't. He is 12 years out from injury and now the chickens are coming home to roost. I have tried talking to him but he won't even talk about it... in denial for sure. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all the feedback...
    Sieg
    Am praying for you both!
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

it sounds to me like yes he is in denial which will only further put him back. it is absolutely CRITICAL that he now stay off of it COMPLETELY and listen to the doctors and be admitted to the hospital.
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.