Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Getting off Valium

A barium enema is a test that can image the extra loops in the colon that are symptomatic of megacolon.

I don't know how old you are, but base line colonoscopies are suggested at age 50, so if you are close to that age, a colonoscopy might be a suggestion that is not out of line.

While Valium is not an opioid, which have known impact on the gastrointestinal system, I have taken Valium occasionally and each time I have been on it, I find my bowels are sluggish. Do possibly now that you are no longer taking Valium you gastrointestinal tract will work as it once did. I puzzled by what a "non-induced" bowel movement is. My non-induced (no suppository, no digital stimulation) bowel movements are accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    A barium enema is a test that can image the extra loops in the colon that are symptomatic of megacolon.

I don't know how old you are, but base line colonoscopies are suggested at age 50, so if you are close to that age, a colonoscopy might be a suggestion that is not out of line.

While Valium is not an opioid, which have known impact on the gastrointestinal system, I have taken Valium occasionally and each time I have been on it, I find my bowels are sluggish. Do possibly now that you are no longer taking Valium you gastrointestinal tract will work as it once did. I puzzled by what a "non-induced" bowel movement is. My non-induced (no suppository, no digital stimulation) bowel movements are accidents.
    I'm 46 and if he had even addressed the word "megcolon" I would be on board for whatever else he wanted to do, but he didn't even say the word... as if he'd never heard it before.

By "non-induced" I mean that without taking any digestive aid, my bowels moved the stool to the point where it needed only to be extracted from the rectal vault. This is how my bowels have worked for 27 years up until July, when I went off of Valium. Which is why I suspected it had something to do with it.