Thread: Long Lasting Muscle Spasm/Cramp - immobilizing - Please Share Info

Long Lasting Muscle Spasm/Cramp - immobilizing - Please Share Info

Hello,

I am looking for advice. Perhaps someone had this experience before because it was my first (still happing at the time of writing this). A bit of context first. I am C4/c5 quadriplegic walking(short distance). I was lucky with my injury and only half of my body was affected. Well, until today that is.

I woke up this morning and felt a bit of pain in my stomach area. Since I had to go to work I forced myself to bathroom despite the pain. After couple of minutes, I realized this is serious. I completely lost the ability to walk. My lower back muscles and stomach muscles locked in a perpetual state of contraction. They felt hard like rocks. The problem is that this happened on the left side of my body. Side that was actually fully functional. This is scary because it wasn't a normal cramp which lasts for 3-4 minutes. It has been stiff for hours now. I am very concerned with that and looking to book in neurologist asap but would love to hear any experiences if applicable.

Thank you for help.

Not a single advice whole day. Well, that sux.

Sorry but I don't have an answer but I wouldn't let this condition linger for days or weeks while waiting to see your neurologist. If I couldn't see a doc within a day or so, I'd go to the emergency room.

Sorry even though I have checked in a few times today just saw your posting tonight
    it sounds as if you are having a change or decline in function from your baseline function
    that is a concerning finding
    I would recommend seeing your spinal cord injury provider as soon as possible, get an exam and a MRI of your spinal cord

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Sorry even though I have checked in a few times today just saw your posting tonight
    it sounds as if you are having a change or decline in function from your baseline function
    that is a concerning finding
    I would recommend seeing your spinal cord injury provider as soon as possible, get an exam and a MRI of your spinal cord

pbr
    Thank you both for response. The contractions have passed after around two hours but I could still feel it for the rest of day. I am now after good night sleep and everything seems to be back to old baseline. No function lost. It was very scary to experience that. I was wondering if it could be some Magnesium deficiency so I got some supplements. I am definitely going to see a neurologist. Its just that I am not in the same country at the moment as my usual spinal cord injury provider. I am wondering if that episode qualifies as an emergency. Is it common to see a functional decline in SCI? I am 10 years post my injury and 31 years old.

Hard to say what happened obviously you had a noxious stimulant event - resulting in those symptoms
    take notes of what and when it happened and any other event that occurred

pbr