Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Vacation Since SCI *7 Years*

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete

First Vacation Since SCI *7 Years*

The house we are renting has a WC accessible shower *something that I haven't been able to indulge in since my SCI* I am anxious to get my first shower in 7 years while on this vacation. I use a sling and lift to transfer from bed to chair and was wondering what precautions I should take when removing the sling once I am in the shower chair, as well as when putting it back under me when done. I don't want to compromise my skin.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

Treeza

Some companies make special slings for toileting and showering. Check with the manufacturer of you transfer device for their version of this type sling.

Just be sure that you are using a sling that does not require remaining in the sling after transferring. Usually these are called something like "hygiene" slings. Be sure that your caregivers are not pulling the sling against your skin when placing or removing the sling, esp. with damp skin, which is more easily damaged. A folded wash cloth placed along the edge seam can help to prevent this, as this is commonly the area that causes friction if they are tugging and pulling it into place.

(KLD)

GJ and KLD - thanks for the info - One more question - I don't currently have a shower chair and have narrowed it down to two - one has a soft padded seat and the other does not - which is the preferred, again for skin safety?

Thanks again
    Treeza

Definitely get a padded seat.

(KLD)

Be careful of the water temperature. Some rentals set the water heaters too high and you have a chance of scalding. Don't know why, but we have found two rentals like that. You might want to shower with a friend just to be safe .
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    Be careful of the water temperature. Some rentals set the water heaters too high and you have a chance of scalding. Don't know why, but we have found two rentals like that. You might want to shower with a friend just to be safe .
    LOL @ TomRL - definitely will have a friend with me ! heh

oh, and thanks for the tip on the water temp !

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    For future trips (and to use as home), you might just want to consider a portable commode/shower chair like http://products.goesanywhere.com/the...chairever.aspx I LOVE my showers. I can't imagine not showering or one week let alone 7 years!!!

r
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by goldnucs View Post
    For future trips (and to use as home), you might just want to consider a portable commode/shower chair like http://products.goesanywhere.com/the...chairever.aspx I LOVE my showers. I can't imagine not showering or one week let alone 7 years!!!

r
    Hi goldnucs - that looks like an awesome commode/shower chair - I live in a two story town home and have no access to the upper level *where the full bath is*. Sadly, my home is not big enough to convert the half bath on the main floor to a full, or even just a shower stall. I'm just happy to have the opportunity when we go on vacation. Thanks for the info tho -

Treeza

What do you guys do for wheelchair transportation when you travel to Mexico Cuba or any of those countries ? I have be searching online for wheelchair taxi but can't find much at all. Same with accessible hotels or resorts. any info would be very appreciated.