Thread: Accessible seating at sporting events, stadiums

Accessible seating at sporting events, stadiums

We really get the short end of the stick when it comes to seating at football and baseball stadiums. Never can we have the opportunity to get the expensive seats even if we could afford them. My experience has been different though. There have been cheap seats all over the place except the limited number of accessible seats left, which are sometimes 5x the cost of where I could sit elsewhere if I had access (like getting up and walking ).

Has anyone had success buying the nosebleeds and exchanging them straight up for wheelchair access?

Here is what ADA has to say about it:

Many existing facilities may not have accessible seating in all price categories because of existing architectural barriers. Under the ADA, a venue must remove such architectural barriers where doing so is readily achievable. What is readily achievable ("easily accomplishable and able to be carried out without much difficulty or expense") depends on the venue's architectural structure and resources. In those situations where it is not readily achievable to remove the barriers in a part of an arena or auditorium, the venue must offer a proportional number of seats in an accessible location at the same price.
    For example, Sections 221.1 and 221.2 of the 2010 Standards require a 1000-seat venue to have 10 wheelchair-accessible seats dispersed horizontally and vertically. The venue, built in 1980, has 200 seats in its inaccessible upper balcony where tickets are generally priced at $50. The total number of seats in the venue divided by the total number of seats in the upper balcony (1,000 divided by 200) is 20 percent. The venue must relocate 20 percent of its required accessible seating (in this instance, two seats) to an accessible location at the $50 price level (for individuals with disabilities and their companions). These seats must be in a comparably priced or better location. The venue cannot relocate the $50 accessible seats to a section where the tickets cost less than $50.
    People purchasing a ticket for an accessible seat may purchase up to three additional seats for their companions in the same row and these seats must be contiguous with the accessible seat.

We travel all over the country with www.sxgp.com which is Supercross in Football and Baseball stadiums.

We have never had issues in 18 + years getting any level of w/c seating.

Have been to a lot of concerts to from Rock to Rap and same issue as long as seats are available we can get them.

If your given a nose bleed seat or win one then need to exchange it for a w/c seat most venues have a customer service group on site to accommodate.

But to buy nose bleed in hopes of exchanging for a close seat just is not right.

Ticket seating and scalping is a big business and my guess is your getting beat to the seats with technology.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post

Ticket seating and scalping is a big business and my guess is your getting beat to the seats with technology.
    Well it doesn't help when ticketmaster makes us wheelies email them for seats, when everyone else can buy theirs on the spot. But the issue isn't really that...

My point is, the cheapest wheelchair access seat vs the cheapest able bodied seat is $60 vs $18. THAT is what isn't right. I'm paying a premium to sit behind everyone. To stare at their backs when they all stand up. Now if they go build a handicap section that is down in front, I'd be happy to pay the premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    Well it doesn't help when ticketmaster makes us wheelies email them for seats, when everyone else can buy theirs on the spot. But the issue isn't really that...

My point is, the cheapest wheelchair access seat vs the cheapest able bodied seat is $60 vs $18. THAT is what isn't right. I'm paying a premium to sit behind everyone. To stare at their backs when they all stand up. Now if they go build a handicap section that is down in front, I'd be happy to pay the premium.
    I'm thinking those seats are in different sections if the prices are that far off. We have season tickets to hockey and football. We pay the same as everyone in our sections. We have noone in front of us. However during the playoffs we got relocated to a different section. A way more expensive section. They were horrible! We went from noone in front of us to rows of people blocking our view. I think they don't police the wheelchair sections enough. Way to many able bodied people in the sections. And there is a very limited amount of wheelchair seats. Definitely need some changes.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I'm thinking those seats are in different sections if the prices are that far off. We have season tickets to hockey and football. We pay the same as everyone in our sections. We have noone in front of us. However during the playoffs we got relocated to a different section. A way more expensive section. They were horrible! We went from noone in front of us to rows of people blocking our view. I think they don't police the wheelchair sections enough. Way to many able bodied people in the sections. And there is a very limited amount of wheelchair seats. Definitely need some changes.
    Thanks for the reply. They are in different sections. But the stadium doesn't even offer accessible seats in the cheaper section. So my point is, if I can only afford a $20 ticket, and Joe Walkingblow behind me in line can also only afford a $20 ticket (keep in mind, neither of us care where we are sitting, we just want to get in) only one of us gets in and its not me. If I want to get in I have to pay $40 MORE just because the seat area that I can access is in a different section. IDK, part of me gets it and it's not their fault I gimped myself up. But another part of me is angry because I feel like they put no moral thought into it. Only what they HAVE to do and no better.

Thanks for the reply. They are in different sections. But the stadium doesn't even offer accessible seats in the cheaper section. So my point is, if I can only afford a $20 ticket, and Joe Walkingblow behind me in line can also only afford a $20 ticket (keep in mind, neither of us care where we are sitting, we just want to get in) only one of us gets in and its not me. If I want to get in I have to pay $40 MORE just because the seat area that I can access is in a different section. IDK, part of me gets it and it's not their fault I gimped myself up. But another part of me is angry because I feel like they put no moral thought into it. Only what they HAVE to do and no better.
    I agree 100%! No moral thoughts whatsoever! All they care about is meeting ADA regulations. Unfortunately it's that way with everything. It's very frustrating!

You can always call Ticketmaster vs sending the email and I have never paid more and some times pay less for WC seating for sports and concerts.

Also many times WC seating is blocked from the public and have attendants to keep the public out of those areas.

Its also more open and more space. The seats in front are lower and dont get in our way even if those people are standing.

Have you ever talked to the venues about your concerns or the promoters prior to sale?

We have gone to a few festival concerts where the promoter didnt know hot to set up a secure elevated seating area and we gave feed back and got in free vip wc area!

Sometimes we as a community need to speak up and educate.

What is venue your talking about and the section you dealt with?

This was one of the top posts on reddit today. I guess I'm not the only one after all.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinfur...SL&sh=57c830de
    Name:  metallicahandicapsection.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  49.1 KB

I actually found the handicap area was the best unless you are in the front row. We were at the ed Sheehan concert, excel center in mpls. We were right where you would come in to go down to your seat. So when everyone was standing we still had the same view, no one standing in our view, then we were under the next level up, so nobody behind us singing horribly off tune. Since now everyone buys a seat ticket but stand and sing along. I came to hear not all these other people's attempt. Our seats were much higher than that picture. Our feet were at about the level of their head when they were standing. Paid no difference.