Thread: Caster bearing frequent replacement

Caster bearing frequent replacement

Why would caster bearings need to be replaced approx every 3 months. Mine last the life of my chairs but I know someone who asys she frequently has to replace them. She thinks it's because she often goes to a pool and chlorine water splash/spray is getting into them.

Depends on the bearings and environment. I have used some for over a year and others only a month or 2.

I have been wheeling through a lot of salty snow/water this winter and had to replace a set that were on from June (until January). This set will be replaced in spring.

Quote Originally Posted by mishahu View Post
    Why would caster bearings need to be replaced approx every 3 months. Mine last the life of my chairs but I know someone who asys she frequently has to replace them. She thinks it's because she often goes to a pool and chlorine water splash/spray is getting into them.
    Seems like a logical explanation to me. I doubt if many (any?) caster bearings are sealed off completely from the outside environment. My other question was going to be whether or not she has a roll in shower.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    . . .I doubt if many (any?) caster bearings are sealed off completely from the outside environment. . .
    Corrosion resistant caster bearings are available and can be cleaned/lubed regularly. Bearings are easy to disassemble and clean with decent finger function.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Corrosion resistant caster bearings are available and can be cleaned/lubed regularly. Bearings are easy to disassemble and clean with decent finger function.
    But this requires both 1) the knowledge that corrosion resistant casters are a thing and/or 2) the desire/nonlaziness to actually diassemble and clean them. I'd wager 4/5ths of us wouldn't bother due to one or both of those reasons.

It is definitely an environment thing and if I can remember to lube them up when they are exposed to water it helps but if I forget the bearing eventually almost freezes up on me and I have yet to replace bearings I just buy new casters. I have had them fall apart and the ball bearing come out. I also do not buy expensive casters. Usually ones that would fit on the razor scooters...

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Small castors will get higher impact loads

Small wheels are subject to a lot of impact load. Better to get 15cm (6in) or larger ones with compressible Micro Cellular Polyurethane tires. 15cm (6cm) can only go over bumps up to 5cm (2in) very slowly. Any larger than 1/3 or at higher speed you will need to pop a wheelie to clear the obstacle.

Pool water is highly corrosive.

With my chair bearings are pressed into the housing and the forks are quick release. I clean bearings out and re-grease them from time to time.

Auto transmission fluid and kerosene to remove old grease and gunk. Then lube with clean marine grease as these are near or in water.

If your friend is in an environment where they get a lot of hair wrapped around the axle, the hair likely gets into the bearings and hair soaks up grease/oil, therefore drying out the bearings.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I switched to ceramic caster bearings and they've been fantastic. They're a little extra money but well worth it. You don't need full-ceramics - the racers can still be steel - just ceramic ball bearings are enough. You still might need to lubricate them from time to time, but they won't rust and lock up on you like the steel ones will.

http://www.vxb.com/Ceramic-Ball-Bear...e=1&f-22mm=695

I always bought my bearings on Ebay but the last purchase that turned up were total junk. Turns out there are lots of counterfeit bearings on the market, from now on I will spend the extra and buy from bearing supply store...