Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: looking for a good ultralight WC with a very low backrest

  1. #21
    I'm leaving the computer for awhile now. I'll check in later.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  2. #22
    So I've put maybe 8 hours into researching my options through online product descriptions and order forms. I'm figuring out what I want before I call my DME supplier back so I know what i'm talking about. I used to just trust my PT, provider and husband to figure it out, but it's time to learn to make these choices myself. (i'm not mechanically minded so it's taking a lot of time) Anyways I've decided so far on:

    ZR TILITE monotube- I like the minimal lines compared to the ZR/A and the titanium out of pocket upgrade is worth it.
    SUPERLITE EDITION, has titanium footrest, backrest and fork stem and CF camber tube and back release bar and slipstream single sided forks
    CF REMOVABLE FENDERED SIDE GUARDS- (light and I understand I can sit on them to reach things??)
    SPINERGY LX WHEELS W/ NATURAL FIT HANDRIMS AND SOLID TIRES (I can't risk a flat being a single gal now) Yikes! $1,000 out of pocket
    Titanium noncurved 4" deep rigidizer bar so I can add quick release push handles when needed.
    FOLDING TIT. ADJ HEIGHT, LOCKING BACKREST W/ AIR BREATHABLE UPHOLSTERY

    Options... any opinion if they're worth the upgrade?
    1. $330 for an ergo seat
    2. $270 for more of a taper on the seat and a narrower footplate?

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    ...W/ NATURAL FIT HANDRIMS ...
    Try them first. They are large. The Natural Fit LT version is a more reasonable size. I have both and my male hands prefer the smaller LT version. BTW I've seen the larger ones one the second hand market many times, but not the LT version. I bought my LT's brand new. Mine are actually LT Surges.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Suburb Near Chicago
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    Ok, this is the idea I want so I could just have these in my car if I needed them...How do I find out if THESE quick release push handles, made for a Colours wheelchair would fit on a Ti lite?
    I have this very same setup on my TiLite ZRA. I weigh around 180-186 lbs. have never had a problem being pulled up steps with the setup.
    I leave my handles in my car or be sure to grab if I have someone else driving.

    Eddie
    -----------
    Eddie

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    I have this very same setup on my TiLite ZRA. I weigh around 180-186 lbs. have never had a problem being pulled up steps with the setup.
    I leave my handles in my car or be sure to grab if I have someone else driving.
    Eddie

    So you have the COLOURS quick release handles with you TiLite and they fit??

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Try them first. They are large. The Natural Fit LT version is a more reasonable size. I have both and my male hands prefer the smaller LT version. BTW I've seen the larger ones one the second hand market many times, but not the LT version. I bought my LT's brand new. Mine are actually LT Surges.
    I haven't tried Surges but I've tried the natural fit, both sizes and I really like the big ones. I hit my thumbs on the tabs or something with the smaller ones.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    So I've put maybe 8 hours into researching my options through online product descriptions and order forms. I'm figuring out what I want before I call my DME supplier back so I know what i'm talking about. I used to just trust my PT, provider and husband to figure it out, but it's time to learn to make these choices myself. (i'm not mechanically minded so it's taking a lot of time)
    Huge kudos!!

    Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    Anyways I've decided so far on:

    ZR TILITE monotube- I like the minimal lines compared to the ZR/A and the titanium out of pocket upgrade is worth it.
    On ZR, the only adjustable items are axle position (aka CoG) and footrest height. Are you that confident your measurement are correct? For me, a half inch here or there makes a huge difference in comfort.

    Tip: when ordering a chair made by TiLite, order footrest height half an inch higher off the ground than you think you need and adjust it down if need be (source SCI_OTR).

    Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    SUPERLITE EDITION, has titanium footrest, backrest and fork stem and CF camber tube and back release bar and slipstream single sided forks
    TiLite's CF camber tube has questionable integrity: camber plugs have come loose for some users even after TiLite claimed to have fixed the issue. Be prepared.

    Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    CF REMOVABLE FENDERED SIDE GUARDS- (light and I understand I can sit on them to reach things??)
    I have these, They're great!

    Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    SPINERGY LX WHEELS W/ NATURAL FIT HANDRIMS AND SOLID TIRES (I can't risk a flat being a single gal now) Yikes! $1,000 out of pocket
    I loved loved my Natural Fits; I love my Surges even more. I wholeheartedly agree, try them first; people have a love/hate relationship with them.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 03-08-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    Titanium noncurved 4" deep rigidizer bar so I can add quick release push handles when needed. FOLDING TIT. ADJ HEIGHT, LOCKING BACKREST W/ AIR BREATHABLE UPHOLSTERY
    Yep, the 4" rigidizer bar on a titanium backrest is the secret to using bolt-on push handles!!

    Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    Options... any opinion if they're worth the upgrade?
    1. $330 for an ergo seat
    Ergo seating?? Another love/hate relationship, but if you hate it you're stuck (unlike Natural Fits).

    I found my way to ergo seating over several years using makeshift wooden wedges in my AeroZ. I originally noticed a need to avoid sliding out of my chair when stopping at the bottom a hill. I wasn't contemplating ergo, I just needed a way to stay in my chair. The OT provided a solution with a Comfort Cushion that I could make thinner under my butt and thicker under my thighs. That kept me in my chair, but was too thin under my butt. So I played around with various configurations (eventually cutting the axle mounts to lower my RSH, and using fork extenders to raise my FSH) until I eventually found a configuration that was both comfortable and met my needs. Lo and behold, it was ergo seating. When it came time to order a new chair, the PT agreed to order ergo seating only because I was already comfortable using ergo (albeit via wooden wedges).

    My recommendation is ergo is only for folks who really benefit from it. It has a downside: pressure redistribution. A rough rule of thumb is if your current chair has 4+ inches of dump, consider an ergo. If you're comfortable in a chair with <4 inches of dump, ergo seating is probably not for you. My TR without ergo seating would have a dump of 5 inches.

    Ergo seating also drastically affects the seat to footrest dimension. Without ergo, my StoFr was 15"; with ergo it's 13". For awhile during testing I bolted a 2x4 on top of my AeroZ's footrest because the footrest was too low. After I was sure of the result, I cut of the AeroZ's front tubes so I could raise the footrest.

    Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    2. $270 for more of a taper on the seat and a narrower footplate?
    A tapered seat's primary purpose is to hold the knees together without using a strap. Your desired footrest width need not change.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 03-08-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Suburb Near Chicago
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    So you have the COLOURS quick release handles with you TiLite and they fit??
    Yes... I once used a Colours wheelchair. So I took them off that chair and they fit the rigidizer bar perfectly.

    Ed
    -----------
    Eddie

Similar Threads

  1. My new ultralight wheelchair: Oracing F2V
    By totoL1 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 06:08 PM
  2. Building the Best Ultralight
    By Topolino Joe in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 11:27 AM
  3. ultralight Bor wheels
    By totoL1 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 07:54 AM
  4. WOLTURNUS Ultralight wheelchairs
    By Johnnie Walked in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 01:10 PM
  5. looking for a ultralight Wc..
    By Stiggy in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 09:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •