Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a good ultralight WC with a very low backrest

I don't need pushing often but its too hard for friends to get me upstairs to get into people's houses without push handles.

I'd like a light, quality chair, a low backrest AND push handles that telescope down when not in use- please- IS THAT TOO MUCH to ASK?? My wheelchair rep is getting frustrated with me because I want to see and try things, but he says there are too many options and there's no way to demonstrate them all. So every question I have I have to wait a while for him to get back to me and he rushes me through conversations like I'm being annoying. But its too important so I'm gonna keep asking you guys here and the rep!

A TiLite titanium will cost me $620 more for the uncovered upgrade and if I want any specialty components, like lighter wheels or carbon fiber parts that will be additional (spinergys are $900 extra) so now I'm just thinking I'm going to use savings and just try to get what I really want... I don't know, it is all frustratiing and confusing me a bit right now!
    Any advice?
    Oh and one more question, as an option I've seen deals on sportaid or ebay which might just end up being a similar price, after the upgrade costs and 20% DME I pay. If you fill out an order without using your med insurance how do I know the right measurements and angles, etc. I don't want to get this wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Trying a chair with a lower back seems like a prudent choice. What chair are you in right now? Can you get a lower back for it?

Not sure Stephen212's idea would work for you because his rigidizer bar starts about where you want your back to end, so it would kind of defeat the purpose to have a big bar up above the back of your chair. However I don't think the lack of push handles should change your mind one way or the other. Do you need to be pushed really often? I've made my friends drag/haul me up several flights of stairs multiple times and I have no push handles. The rigidizer bar by itself (even if it's not upswept like Stephen212's) is a solid grab point, and if someone needs to bend over a little to push you every once in a while, they can deal with the temporary back aches... Like they say no pain no gain (and it's always better that the pain is somebody elses and not yours )

[QUOTE=darlagee22;1824322]
    Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Check out Stephen212's push-handle solution . . .[/QUOTE

I read through the post I don't see any pushhandles...?

That's the point. He has pushers/lifters use the angled, curved rigidizer bar on his welded backrest.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 02-24-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    . . I'd like a light, quality chair, a low backrest AND push handles that telescope down when not in use- please- IS THAT TOO MUCH to ASK??
    NO!! Hold out for what you want!!

I suggest filling out the order form yourself approximating your measurements. Then take it with you to a qualified seating clinic for review and, comment, and corrections. Then order it online or hrough your DMEs.

DMEs want an easy buck; they are not good at customer service when it comes to complex items like quality manual wheelchairs (either before or after the sale).

We must advocate for ourselves.
    I've had good success advocating for myself. What TiLite chair do you want? I'll start filling out an order form for you if you like. I advise against a fixed chair (i.e., TR, ZR)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Ok, this is the idea I want so I could just have these in my car if I needed them...How do I find out if THESE quick release push handles, made for a Colours wheelchair would fit on a Ti lite?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

To work on a TiLite, the diameter of the rigidizer bar of the Colours needs to be 3/4IN (probably is), and TiLite's rigidizer bar needs to not be the curved bar that comes standard with a titanium back; the optional 4IN bar (TSB12) on the titanium back would work as would any bar on an aluminum back.

Next question?

Oh TiLite has a similar push handle design.

I failed to answer your question: How do I find out. I'm thinking . . .
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks for the response. I went through a seating clinic several months ago and I have Kaiser so there's only one option through their PT and clinic. I went home unsatisfied and uncertain about the backrest, push handles and willingness to pay extra for the titanium. So I have been looking and learning and comparing online. What do you mean about ordering online through my DME's? I thought if I went through my insurance I had to use their wheelchair supply company and their rep with input from my PT.

What do you mean by "fixed chair"?

I just want a lightweight chair with a low backrest and hopefully a rigidizer bar that I can connecet the quick release push handles on. I know that the titanium is the lightest, but it looks to me like their backrest is 10" minimum height.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    NO!! Hold out for what you want!!

I suggest filling out the order form yourself approximating your measurements. Then take it with you to a qualified seating clinic for review and, comment, and corrections. Then order it online or hrough your DMEs.

DMEs want an easy buck; they are not good at customer service when it comes to complex items like quality manual wheelchairs (either before or after the sale).

We must advocate for ourselves.
    I've had good success advocating for myself. What TiLite chair do you want? I'll start filling out an order form for you if you like. I advise against a fixed chair (i.e., TR, ZR)

TiLite's similar push handle (part SB9), which will work on a titanium back if you know how to ask. (we'll discuss later).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks for the response. I went through a seating clinic several months ago and I have Kaiser so there's only one option through their PT and clinic. I went home unsatisfied and uncertain about the backrest, push handles and willingness to pay extra for the titanium. So I have been looking and learning and comparing online. What do you mean about ordering online through my DME's? I thought if I went through my insurance I had to use their wheelchair supply company and their rep with input from my PT.
    Order online out of pocket OR through DMEs with insurance. Sorry for the confusion. If you provide your DMEs with completed order form, their job becomes much easier, and they'll more likely to be friendly to work with. Those order forms are a real pain!!

Did the seating clinic give you the measurements? If not, ask them for a copy.

What do you mean by "fixed chair"?
    By 'fixed' I mean a chair that has virtually no adjustment. Nearly everything is welded. Apples-to-apples, fixed chairs weigh slightly less than their adjustable counterparts. TiLite calls their fixed chairs "Ultimate TiFit."

I just want a lightweight chair with a low backrest and hopefully a rigidizer bar that I can connecet the quick release push handles on. I know that the titanium is the lightest, but it looks to me like their backrest is 10" minimum height.
    What is your ideal back (one you're willing to pay extra for)? What is your ideal back height? (These are loaded questions; when you answer, I'll ask for more detail.)
    Last edited by chasmengr; 02-24-2017 at 10:23 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks but I just know from personal experience that we are often treated as second class citizens. I'm medically retired and mechanically inclined. I've been through the wheelchair ordering system, and have learned a lot. Sharing what I've learned and helping others gives me purpose and joy
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>