Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a good ultralight WC with a very low backrest

looking for a good ultralight WC with a very low backrest

As I've been waiting and WADING through a long process of getting the wheelchair I think I need approved (I have Kaiser medicare) and its been 6 months. I'm starting to think I should just find the one I REALLY want and let them cover whatever they will cover. I can somewhat afford it and I since I'm probably going to be paying the extra to get a lighter weight titanium and spinergy wheels anyways, maybe I should just focus on figuring out what I really want, not what they will cover. So in THAT case, I want one that looks sexy! And I want one with a very low back like what I see Tiphany Adams in. The drawback to that is that with NO pushrims, I won't be able to get into most other people's houses so that won't work.

Anyone know what kind of chair she has, if its good and if you can get foldable push canes on the back? Any general advice?

Any ultralight wheelchair will allow you to pick exactly what height you want or at least be adjustable between a fairly narrow range of heights. If your level of injury allows, I would absolutely go for the lowest back you comfortably can. That being said, I googled pictures of that Tiphany chick and that's basically like not having a back, if you think you can pull it off, good for you, I know I wouldn't be able to. Even if I was AB, I don't think I'd want to spend 16 hours a day in a chair without a back. That sounds incredibly uncomfortable.

If you want titanium, I guess tilite seems to be the default, though I'm sure quickie and others make Ti frames since us WC users are vain about every little ounce like we're olympic cyclists or something.

And I don't know what your injury level is, but I just looked up hers and it's L2, which means she's got all of her abdominal and back muscles. If you don't I think the absence of a back (like she has) is probably a poor choice.

In this pic, she's in a TiLite ZR with a fixed back. It's a great chair, available with folding push handles and a folding back if you want. TiLite will make just about anything you want (see pics in my signature). If you want a really personalized, cost-effective chair, see Mike Box Wheelchairs:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chasmengr; 02-12-2017 at 02:01 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

My level is T-12 and I have all my abdominal and back, and a little of quads, just not much glutes. It would be nice to be able to TRY a chair out with a low back like that before I decided. My Ti-lite has an 8" back but with push handles feels kinda high. I know that if I had NO push handles I would be more limited since no one could help me up steps or on trails when I get tired, hmmm... I just want a really good lookin chair that is minimal and let's people see me more than the chair ya know??

Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    My level is T-12 and I have all my abdominal and back, and a little of quads, just not much glutes. It would be nice to be able to TRY a chair out with a low back like that before I decided. My Ti-lite has an 8" back but with push handles feels kinda high. I know that if I had NO push handles I would be more limited since no one could help me up steps or on trails when I get tired, hmmm... I just want a really good lookin chair that is minimal and let's people see me more than the chair ya know??
    Trying a chair with a lower back seems like a prudent choice. What chair are you in right now? Can you get a lower back for it?

Not sure Stephen212's idea would work for you because his rigidizer bar starts about where you want your back to end, so it would kind of defeat the purpose to have a big bar up above the back of your chair. However I don't think the lack of push handles should change your mind one way or the other. Do you need to be pushed really often? I've made my friends drag/haul me up several flights of stairs multiple times and I have no push handles. The rigidizer bar by itself (even if it's not upswept like Stephen212's) is a solid grab point, and if someone needs to bend over a little to push you every once in a while, they can deal with the temporary back aches... Like they say no pain no gain (and it's always better that the pain is somebody elses and not yours )

I DO need a lot of pushing but DON'T need a high backrest (in fact it just gets in my way). Bolt-on push handles were my solution. These are Melrose's version, which can drop down so they're out of the way or be turned inwards so the handles don't stick out. They are height-adjustable with a maximum height MUCH higher than you would need. Many people pushing Melrose chairs in New Zealand have their standard non-adjustable bolt-on push handles, and keep them mounted pretty centrally and turned inwards unless needed. Ti-Lite offers bolt-on handles as I recall, but not on titanium backs, so that's a caveat.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I really wanted a TiLite when I needed a new chair because I heard such great things about them and they are made out of titanium. I mean who doesn't want a titanium wheelchair. I was then encouraged to test both a TiLite ZRA and a Quickie Q7R for a week and the Q7R fit me better. I am now using a loaner Q7R with a J3 Freestyle backrest while I await delivery of my chair later this evening. I went with Topolino carbon fiber rims, a carbon fiber backrest, and also had the arm rest brackets removed which reduced the weight considerably. My older rigid chair weighed about 40 pounds fully assembled, the Q7R (17 inch width) that I'm using now that has the metal backrest and armrest brackets weighs 29 pounds.

If it is an option try to get a chair that is as close as possible to your size to test drive for a few days.

[QUOTE=chasmengr;1823194]Check out Stephen212's push-handle solution . . .[/QUOTE

I read through the post I don't see any pushhandles...?