Thread: My concern

Question My concern

Long time everybody! Haven't been here for a while.

Back to uti life style....grrr
    Been on Cipro, ampicillin (sp), penicillin and just started a10 day cycle 2x per day or every 12 hours. You name I've probably been on it in the past year. Makes it really tough juggling a part time job as well....fml

So here's my concern. If I go back to using vetericyn wound & infection VF who's to tell me that I don't have a infection in the pathway leading to my bladder? (Ureter)
    How can using vetericyn through supra pubic into my bladder say that I'm uti free?
    Can't the infection be in the ureter and/or kidney never make it into the bladder?

I guess my point I'm making is, isn't there a difference between a urinary tract infection vs a bladder infection?
    Someone please enlighten me

The urinary tract, from top to bottom is:
    Kidneys
    Ureters
    Bladder
    Urethra

Any or all of these can become infected.

The most common location for UTI is the lower urinary tract: bladder and urethra. Lower UTI's are sometimes referred to as Cystitis.

If a lower UTI isn't treated, the infection can spread to the upper urinary tract: ureters and kidneys.

Once the infection makes it into the kidneys, it's called Pyelonephritis and can be life threatening. Symptoms of pyelonephritis include fever, chills,nausea, vomiting, flank pain and tenderness in the area of the back where the ribs meet the spine.

Lab tests, renal ultrasound studies, CT and other imaging tests can help confirm a diagnosis of pyelonephritis.

"How can using vetericyn through supra pubic into my bladder say that I'm uti free?" --- It can't. You'd need an un-diluted urine specimen to confirm the presence or absence of infection.

"Can't the infection be in the ureter and/or kidney never make it into the bladder?" --- yes, sometimes pyelonephritis can occur without cystitis.

Last edited by 2drwhofans; 02-11-2017 at 05:57 PM.

As usual, the most important question is are you treating colonization (positive cultures with no UTI symptoms) or true UTIs? With an indwelling catheter you are most likely going to be chronically colonized, but not necessarily have a true UTI. The former should rarely be treated, while the latter should be treated.

What tests of your urinary tract have you had in the last year? Ultrasound? CT? Cystoscopy? Stones must be ruled out, along with abscesses, diverticuli, and other structural problems that can lead to a UTI. How about a prostate exam and PSA? Chronic prostatitis can also be a problem for men with SCI. What does your urologist say? Has an infectious disease physician been consulted?

(KLD)