Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alternating pressure cushion

alternating pressure cushion

Hello,

Does anyone using this type of cushion?

I'm considering to obtain one.
    I'm C4-5, 1993. bike accident. Whole this time I'm using High profile Roho Quadtro, which last 2-3 years having pressure issues on my butt. So, im thinking to give a try to other "technology".

Any experiences for alternating cushion?

We evaluated the dynamic cushions currently on the market, and found them unsatisfactory, with the possible exception of the Dolphin. If you do a search on this forum, you will find discussions about these powered cushions from other members.

(KLD)

SCI-Nurse, can you tell us which dynamic cushions you evaluated and what criteria you used to determine they were unsatisfactory?

Question for SCI-Nurse on dynamic cushions evaluated

SCI nurse (moderator)
    You said in a post a couple days ago that you evaluated the dynamic cushions currently on the market and you found them unsatisfactory. Can you tell us which cushions you looked at and specifically what criteria you used to deem them "unsatisfactory"? This is a reasonable question because this technology seems like it would be effective since it is similar to an alternating mattress. You say the dolphin cushion is the exception. Why? Please provide some specifics to justify your recommendations.
    Thank you

There is poor scientific evidence that alternating pressure, either in a mattress or a w/c cushion does anything to prevent pressure ulcers. I have posted many times about my lack of confidence in alternating pressure (vs. low air loss) for bed mattresses or overlays.

We evaluated the Aquila and found we could get better pressures on a Ride or other static customized cushion. Dolphin technology is different than this...it is a fluid immersion simulation technology, and adjusts the pressures according to your posture and position on the cushion.

Moving this thread to the previous one on which you posted.

(KLD)

Thank you for the response. SO there is scientific evidence for the ride and other static cushions and for the dolphin for preventing ulcers? Can you provide links to the evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by pearlstreet View Post
    Thank you for the response. SO there is scientific evidence for the ride and other static cushions and for the dolphin for preventing ulcers? Can you provide links to the evidence?
    Sorry, now that I am retired I don't have access to those. Suggest you contact the manufacturers of these products and ask for INDEPENDENT research studies (not just ones done by their R&D dept.).

(KLD)

Respectfully, regarding "There is poor scientific evidence that alternating pressure ... a w/c cushion does anything to prevent pressure ulcers." - the USA Air Force study revealed a different conclusion. A tiny portion of the sudy can be seen here. More substantial portions of the same study - numerous USAF measurements - have been referenced in the past in these forums.

I agree that requesting and studying the clinical research available from manufacturers is a good suggestion. The good news is that the manufacturers in the field of seating and positioning are starting to support independent research (and yes, us manufacturers do continue to provide in-house clinical and case studies as well but these should be stated as such). Here is a link to the specific clinical research available through Permobil / ROHO: https://permobilus.com/education-evi...ical-research/

Tom Borcherding

Can you provide the link / reference to where this study is published?