Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone actually get "offended" from the term cripple or gimp?

Blog Entries
    I think the intention behind the words is all that matters. If someone trying to be 'sensitive' or 'polite' uses words that someone takes offense to, then the offended person might actually be 'differently abled'...in the brain. On the flip side, someone being intentionally mean, or trying to belittle, can use the nicest words and still deserve be confronted over it.

Intent is everything.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I think the intention behind the words is all that matters. If someone trying to be 'sensitive' or 'polite' uses words that someone takes offense to, then the offended person might actually be 'differently abled'...in the brain. On the flip side, someone being intentionally mean, or trying to belittle, can use the nicest words and still deserve be confronted over it.

Intent is everything.
    Nicely put

The one time someone called me "cripple" I deserved it Out at the strip club...the slut comes over.."let's dance?" "NO." "Why not? ".."you're not attractive enough." LOLLOL... "At least I'm not a cripple" she said condescendingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    I don't like the term "differenty abled" either. Like,...what would "differently abled" parking look like? Or,..how does a "differently abled" driver drive?
    Or how about the fact that the term only caters to the people that are actually "differently abled", meanwhile there are other disabilities that are completely 100% dependent even with breathing.

You can call me anything except late for meals!!! I usually badly for people who try to make believe they understand why I am in this chair. It's simple just ask, and I will explain as well as how to describe me in words. Yes, I am a crip! Not the gangbanger type Crip though. Facts are facts and if you hide from them, with some form of sensitivity, you are only fooling yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted View Post
    The one time someone called me "cripple" I deserved it Out at the strip club...the slut comes over.."let's dance?" "NO." "Why not? ".."you're not attractive enough." LOLLOL... "At least I'm not a cripple" she said condescendingly.
    You did.

LOL Very few people are going to call you a "cripple" to your face in today's society. I have never encountered it. The worst thing is being infantilized though. I'd rather be called "cripple" a million times than be treated like a baby, an object of pity' a sub-person. I have been patted on the head by randoms in public places before, even "kissed" on the cheek by a stranger after they sat down beside me to give me words of encouragement. It was humiliating. With my level of injury (high quad), gender and physical appearance (I look much younger than 27 - mistaken often as 17) it predisposes me to these encounters often in public. I know how to deal with it though.