Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone actually get "offended" from the term cripple or gimp?

Does anyone actually get "offended" from the term cripple or gimp?

I can't imagine being offended by those terms, i use them myself... and does anyone platitudinize on "ableism"? Part of being an ableist is to think all disabilities should be cured??? That should be a givin?

I think in this particular situation; the whole: "PC culture" aspect is almost always plaritudnized by entitled and whiny millennial's, with "OCD" at worst to be honest.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 02-09-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    I'm not offended by any of the terms, but when I'm writing I often use "differently abled" instead of "disabled". The first sounds like you do things, just differently. The second sounds like you can't do things.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    I can't imagine being offended by those terms, i use them myself... and does anyone platitudinize on "ableism"? Part of being an ableist is to think all disabilities should be cured??? That should be a givin?

I think in this particular situation; the whole: "PC culture" aspect is almost always plaritudnized by entitled and whiny millennial's, with "OCD" at worst to be honest.
    In my world if you're seriously about being offended by someone using those words then you're seriously fucked in the head.
    To me what I'd consider offensive would be your caregiver, while training his relief worker has you laying flat out on the bed, having just showered you, decides to switch over to their native tongue and under the "guise" of training begins laughing & giggling as he points to different areas of your body; as if you're some specimen of another species they find amusing.
    Even better is when they decide to take a call on their cell, stepping out of the room while you're laying on the bed post shower, claiming it's a critical call family call...only to overhear him whispering into the phone anything but "critical" family talk.
    Reality check, we're humans too.
    Yes, I love this life.

I dislike most of the politically correct stuff so prevalent in our society. Way back in the 60's my teacher husband had to tell parents that their child had problems "respecting the property of others" when they were caught stealing. Absurd.

I guess this puts a stop to my protesting at bowling and golf games when they talk about players with handicaps!! And I had my placards all drawn!!
    C5/C6

The injury and complications are the most offensive to me. Observers can say whatever they'd like. Moving this broken ass body around and bathroom procedure is far worse than any slur.
    Call me whatever the hell you would like, laugh, point fingers, be stoked you're not eternally stuck sitting down. Cause I'm jealous and disabled...
    I'd trade however many decades I could have left for a small serving of normalcy; even just 6 months to a year. But that will never happen

Last edited by Denied2016; 02-10-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    I've had much the same experience as Tim C (above). Being turned and changed...a female aide to my left, flirting (across my bed) with the male aide to my right, while I can't get a word in edgewise about what I'm needing for my care. That same hospital aide derisively called out, on another occassion, "You can move! I SAW you! You moved your leg!"...because she is ignorant of paraylzed people having spasms.

Back to the original topic,...It annoys me when I'M the one telling a particular story to an able-bodied person, and I'M the one who says, for example, that (in my story) I was having a lot of spaciticy and looked pathetic,...and then the able-bodied person (the non-handicapped person) who I'm telling the story to, interrupts my story to contradict me and to "correct" me, that the other person (in my story) did NOT think that I looked pathetic. So..., it annoys me when an AB person tries to impose on me her standard of political correctness when I'm telling my OWN story about MYSELF. !!!! The AB person hadn't been present at the time that my story was occurring. And the whole point of my story was that an official at a government office had "gone easy" on me about a permit I needed, seeing the bad shape I was in. It wasn't a 'sad' story. It was a story of a bureaucrat seeing first-hand the reality of being disabled, and doing something kind, rather than imposing the harshest sanction permissible by law.
    Last edited by Vintage; 02-10-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    Female, T9 incomplete

I call myself a gimp. I do it cuz it is what it is. Im fucked up, and shit aint coming back. So be it. PC talk is for the Snowflakes... reality is for those who get their deal is screwed and jus go about their lives as best they can.

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    I call myself a gimp. I do it cuz it is what it is. Im fucked up, and shit aint coming back. So be it. PC talk is for the Snowflakes... reality is for those who get their deal is screwed and jus go about their lives as best they can.
    These are my sentiments, as well.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Graybeard, #7 above, "Like"!
    Female, T9 incomplete

No matter what any one else calls me, I am me. That is all I know and all I need to know. Everything else is noise that is irrelevant.