Thread: Advice/experiences with Suprapubic Catheters.

Advice/experiences with Suprapubic Catheters.

I'm due to have a suprapubic catheter fitted and prefer the idea of a belly bag as a leg bag may set of my leg spasms (I have MS). I'm no lightweight though and have a fat belly. Do you think I could still wear one? Thanks, in advance, for any constructive advice. Any other information or advice greatly appreciated too.

Blog Entries
    I'm not tried one, but I think they may make a bag you wear on your low back. Does anyone know?

I have never seen a catheter bag that hangs on your back. The belly bag goes right over your pubic area. A bag around your back would interfere with seating, and most likely burst with much urine in it.

Few people find that a leg bag triggers spasm, if it is properly applied.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I have never seen a catheter bag that hangs on your back. The belly bag goes right over your pubic area. A bag around your back would interfere with seating, and most likely burst with much urine in it.

Few people find that a leg bag triggers spasm, if it is properly applied.

(KLD)
    What is "properly applied"? I use the skimpy elastic straps with button holes because that is what my urologist supplies. Am thinking the wider fabric backed straps will be better for my skin in the long run.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    What is "properly applied"? I use the skimpy elastic straps with button holes because that is what my urologist supplies. Am thinking the wider fabric backed straps will be better for my skin in the long run.
    My leg bags come with those elastic straps too, but I throw them out. I prefer a leg bag sleeve holder. I use the over the knee style. I use the Urocare vinyl 32 oz capacity bag in the sleeve even though the specs say it accommodates up to a 24 oz bag.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those would distribute the load for sure. How often do you take them on/off? Not sure I want to wrestle with that every morning but occasionally would be okay.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    Those would distribute the load for sure. How often do you take them on/off? Not sure I want to wrestle with that every morning but occasionally would be okay.
    My wife assists with dressing. She removes them every night and puts them on each morning. For her there is no struggle with them, it is kind of like putting on and taking off socks. But, depending on your ability, of course, they may prove to be more difficult. But you are right about weight distribution. Even with the cloth and velcro straps, I could get some skin irritation if the bag got too heavy.