Thread: Having MRI on Thursday. What to do with leg bag?

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County

Having MRI on Thursday. What to do with leg bag?

I just realized this may present a problem when I'm having an MRI on both shoulders tomorrow. I normally fill up my leg bag about every 45 minutes or so and the MRI will probably take about 1-1/2 hours. Should I unstrap the leg bag from my thigh like I do at night and attach a bedside bag? This is my first MRI since having the suprapubic put in, and the first while not an in patient. I certainly don't want to wet myself. That would make for an awful long drive home!

You can certainly take a bedside drainage bag with you and attach it after transferring to the MRI table, but it must be one with no metal parts (such as the hook to attach it to the bed, or the drainage tube clamp). You cannot have any metal on your body and cannot take any metal objects into the MRI chamber.

(KLD)

How big is your leg bag? Filling a leg bag every 45 minutes...that is a lot of urine, unless your leg bag is really small. How much liquid do you drink?

That said, you could restrict your liquids before the MRI and you won't be drinking just before or during the MRI.

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    I don't think my bedside bags have any metal. The hanger and the drain tube clip are plastic. My leg bag is the normal 16oz size. I think it fill so fast because of how/where I wear it. I wear it with the strap above the knee so the bag goes over my knee and the bottom strap is at about the upper part of my calf. So much of the fluid is displaced. When I undo the straps to empty it, its only about half full. I cant wear it higher up and I wouldn't want to because it would be on top of my thigh and I wouldn't be able to wear my pants. Wearing it below the knee and it would constantly be sliding down my leg, would stretch the tubing and might pull it out of the catheter.

If I am lying on my back do I need to unstrap it from my leg and have it lay on the table between my legs or next to me so that it is at least a title lower than my bladder?

I don't like the idea of restricting my fluid. I get thirst from some of the meds I take.

I couldn't speak for what size leg bag is recommended for women. But 16 oz. seems very small. My leg bag, male, supra pubic is 32 oz. That said, even at twice the size of your leg bag, I don't empty my 32 oz leg bag every 1.5 hours.

Thirst because of meds you take is one thing, but if you are drinking copious quantities of water/other liquids, I would suggest that you have your blood sodium monitored regularly to make sure you aren't depleting your electrolyte balance, which can have dangerous consequences.

I use a 32 oz. bag too, and can go a long time before it needs to be emptied.

We rarely issued anything but a 32 oz. leg bag for our clients.

(KLD)