Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical Expenses and taxes. Help!

Medical Expenses and taxes. Help!

Howdy folks,

I've become employed for the first time since my injury (well "gainfully employed" to use the SS term). I started working in June, so I have a little over 6 months of income on 2016 taxes. I haven't filed taxes since my disability and I think I forgot how this works.

But my main question is can I use medical expenses as a tax deduction?

I don't have too much crazy medical expenses, but if I go through my credit card statements and EOBs, I'm sure I can find a couple thousand in medical expenses. I'm just not sure if it's worth all of my time, because from my googling of it, it's not worthwhile unless you have > 10% of your pretax income as medical expenses. Also I've got SSDI throughout the year, so if that becomes taxable I'm quite sure I wouldn't be close to the limit.

But this might be more relevant next year as I'm getting a new wheelchair and it looks like out of pocket is gonna be close to $3,000.

If you've got any ideas where I can find these answers I'd appreciate it.

As above.

You may deduct only the amount of your total medical expenses that exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income or 7.5% if you or your spouse is 65 or older.
    So a lot depends upon your income, and remember that the expenses below the 10% cannot be deducted; only those that exceed the 10%. And of course only those expenses not covered by your insurance or DOR would be included.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    As above.

So a lot depends upon your income, and remember that the expenses below the 10% cannot be deducted; only those that exceed the 10%. And of course only those expenses not covered by your insurance or DOR would be included.

(KLD)
    What is a DOR?

Thanks for the links gjnl

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    What is a DOR?

Thanks for the links gjnl
    Don't you just hate it when people throw out acronyms?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Don't you just hate it when people throw out acronyms?
    Always have to have the dig and last word, right????

DOR = Department of Rehabilitation or Vocational Rehab Dept. depending on your state. Most people with SCI who work are very familiar with that acronym.

(KLD)

When I worked (posted this some time ago) I researched the category "other expenses" and anything related to disability and found a paragraph or so in a tax book I had that stated a disabled worker can put "work-related disability expenses" under the "Other expenses" which I believe is still located near the bottom of the page titled Itemized Deductions. Placing these expenses at that spot allows you to deduct the whole amount, not a percentage, like you would have to do if you placed these expenses under Medical.
    I would deduct a percentage of my van's adapted equipment - calculating only the days that I traveled to work. I don't think I dealt with the fact that I was spending about $300 a month to gas up a van, instead of a more economical vehicle. When I worked, my employer covered changes to my work area that enabled me to function at the desk, file cabinet, etc. I did receive a gas mileage amount from my employer only when I had to use my van to attend training sessions, etc. away from the office.
    I saved all my transportation calculations with my copies of taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Always have to have the dig and last word, right????

DOR = Department of Rehabilitation or Vocational Rehab Dept. depending on your state. Most people with SCI who work are very familiar with that acronym.

(KLD)
    I worked for 20 years, with a spinal cord injury, in the private sector with no aid or assistance from a Department of Rehabilitation or Vocational Rehab. I had no idea what DOR meant in your post, neither did "Funlab," and very likely others.

I do hate it when people use acronyms and have been quite vocal about that here. This isn't a dig, unless you decide to take it that way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    i worked for 20 years, with a spinal cord injury, in the private sector with no aid or assistance from a department of rehabilitation or vocational rehab. I had no idea what dor meant in your post, neither did "funlab," and very likely others.

I do hate it when people use acronyms and have been quite vocal about that here. This isn't a dig, unless you decide to take it that way.
    stfu.

A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    stfu.

Oh "Oddity," I didn't know you cared! So Thankful For U. That's such a sweet thing to say! (I'm not entirely humorless)