Thread: Lightest "all purpose" tire?

Lightest "all purpose" tire?

I'm between my love of RB's design and the weight savings of Spox sport (w/surge lt), no matter what, I decided on RR's because a lightweight wheel needs a lightweight tire.
    Totally decided, until last weekend.... Last weekend I was one raw nerve after navigating a nasty asphalt trail w/solids on my current chair. My husband mentioned that he didn't think RR's would survive between the cracks and foxtails on the trail. I try to keep up with the Kids and sometimes the only path is rough riding. Are Marathon's "the" choice for a tire that can handle all around usage or is there a lighter option? I can't find weights between Marathon's and RR's (defining "heavy" tire).
    Thank you for your expertise!

In My opinion Marathon's are the only way to go. Love my Marathon's plus they also have smart guard protection. 5 mm thick of special India rubber to protect from puncture. I like you reside in Arizona and go off trail. I have yet to get a flat in over 3 years. Good luck in your search.

Marathon's are okay, but they are heavy and really hard to put on given how stiff they are. I like the schwalbe one tires.

Marathons are 500g, RR 315 (for 25-540). Ones are 205.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Marathon's are okay, but they are heavy and really hard to put on given how stiff they are. I like the schwalbe one tires. Marathons are 500g, RR 315 (for 25-540). Ones are 205.
    I have Marathons on my chair and pair of Schwalbe One's in the cupboard that I've never put on. As you say MPs are a stiff tyres and the ONEs, much more supple. How does the ride differ on the ONEs compared to the MPs? When pumped up to the same pressure, say 100psi, do the ONEs feel more squishy/softer? I'm just curious I've never ridden on any other tyres apart from MPs.

ive got ones on my new chair and they roll really well and make the wheel much lighter, and i push from the tyre/rim and they are nice on the hands, the mp's are obviously better for punctures but that all depends on the user and where you go.

Quote Originally Posted by rAdGie View Post
    ive got ones on my new chair and they roll really well and make the wheel much lighter, and i push from the tyre/rim and they are nice on the hands, the mp's are obviously better for punctures but that all depends on the user and where you go.
    I think I read on the Schwalbe website that ONEs have some puncture protection but not as much as MPs? Apart from picking up the wheels do you notice it being easier to get yourself moving from a standstill with the lighter tyres? The reason I ask is that it's supposed to do with some physics guff (rotational inertia). In that heavier tyres are harder to get rolling because they have more mass, but once they're up and rolling they have more stored energy i.e. act like a flywheel.

Quote Originally Posted by night_owl View Post
    i have marathons on my chair and pair of schwalbe one's in the cupboard that i've never put on. As you say mps are a stiff tyres and the ones, much more supple. How does the ride differ on the ones compared to the mps? When pumped up to the same pressure, say 100psi, do the ones feel more squishy/softer? I'm just curious i've never ridden on any other tyres apart from mps.
    I guess the One's are a little softer then the MP, but I keep the marathons at a higher PSI. The Ones give a smoother ride, but I feel I can go anywhere with the MPs and not worry about getting a flat. If I didn't have to worry about city streets I would roll the ones.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I guess the One's are a little softer then the MP, but I keep the marathons at a higher PSI. The Ones give a smoother ride, but I feel I can go anywhere with the MPs and not worry about getting a flat. If I didn't have to worry about city streets I would roll the ones.
    Thankyou I'm definitely going to try the ONEs. I wish I had a spare set of 24 inch wheels which I could put the ONEs on. Then I'd have the best of both worlds. I've set up an alert on eBay UK in case a used pair of 24 inch wheels comes up.

my ones feel just as strong and hard as my mp's i keep them running at the same psi anyway, i certainly dont feel worried being out and about as im always checking anyway and would no matter what tyre i used, i dont know if its down to a new lighter chair as well but yes they seem to roll better than my mp's and smoother too.