Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: manual chair : brake options, what do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    No need, you literally just screw it together. Just use the right screw driver. #1 Phillips head.
    and Loctite. I swap all my ring screws out to shcs.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

X2 for ADI disc brakes. They're the only ones you can actually use reliably as "brakes" to descend hills with. All others are just "locks" for once you're already stationary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    and Loctite. I swap all my ring screws out to shcs.
    I didn't use thread lock on my install, and, granted I've lost a couple screws over the past 8 years, but they are still holding strong. If I had to do it again, I'd use medium strength 'blue' Loctite.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    X2 for ADI disc brakes. They're the only ones you can actually use reliably as "brakes" to descend hills with. All others are just "locks" for once you're already stationary.
    ADI discs are something entirely unique. Like you say, they are real 'brakes', usable for deceleration. Balancing the tension/engagement on both sides is important, as is saving enough money to afford them! ~$1,200 last I checked.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    they are around $900
    !!!!!!!

Not worth that much.

for this quad they are. u dam paras hop around like rabbits, u don't need much brake. lol. yep I use blue on mine.
    !!!!!!!

Not worth that much.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

ADI discs are something entirely unique. Like you say, they are real 'brakes', usable for deceleration. Balancing the tension/engagement on both sides is important, as is saving enough money to afford them! ~$1,200 last I checked.
    I agree and probably wouldn't have got them if I had to pay for them myself. Got my doc to write the letter and my private insurance through my employer paid for them, no questions asked.

I should have used loctite.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    I agree and probably wouldn't have got them if I had to pay for them myself. Got my doc to write the letter and my private insurance through my employer paid for them, no questions asked.
    same here my ins covers set with each new chair about every 3 years. no problems
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Not feeling well at all today but lemme wrangle up what I can and see if you're interested ... I'm missing a major spring like bolt thing a ma jig though, lol. Working on my chair always ended up with me whipping a wrench across the room.

I'll try to have it up tomorrow. Yours if you want it to try before you buy.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12