Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driving

Was your friend trying to put the chair in the backseat while you were sitting in the passenger? if you are in the drivers seat (without anyone in the passenger seat) you can flip the seat forward and go that route if you have to put it in the backseat.

I am a C6/7 incomplete and drive a Jeep Wrangler. I transfer in without anything and then break my chair down. With my drivers seat tilted slightly back I can put my wheels behind the passenger seat and then my chair goes on the passenger seat.

I also drive a Chevy Silverado 1500 with extended cab and 4 doors, not crew cab. I took the backseat out. With that I once again transfer over to the drivers seat then slide the seat forward (it happens to be powered). From there I simply pull the entire chair behind the seat by the footrest. Once it is in, I slide the seat back, shut the rear door then drivers door. Easiest vehicle to drive from for me.

I owned a Honda Civic and did the same as with my Jeep. It was easier because the transfer was about level and easier to control the chair when assembling/disassembling.

Also had a GMC Safari with a lift and 4 way power drivers seat. Driving a van is well...like driving a van. Not my thing but if you need it, it is better than being driven around.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would just add that you need to consider long term wear and tear on your shoulders for car/truck transfers, and whether or not you can breakdown and load your own wheelchair when using a car vs. a van. As someone fairly newly injured, you may not think these are issues you need to worry about, but some of those who have been injured longer may be able to tell you about how these issues can be a problem, esp. over many years.

(KLD)
    I have to agree with this, I ignored this issue for several years and just pushed my body to the max to show how independent and "normal" I could be. I'm 40yrs post injury and for the last 25yrs I've had to deal with severe shoulder pain. I'm not saying not push yourself but don't ignore pain, it's your body telling you there's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Your chair is heavy. Does the back not fold down? It does for most rigid chairs.

Here is a video you might want to look at for car transfers and manual chair loading:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaxcAOWMzks

(KLD)
    The back folds down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethant91 View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm trying to get back to driving and looking for vehicle recommendations. I am a C7 incomplete quad. I have limited hand function. I have an invacare a4 wheelchair that weighs around 35 pounds. I'd love to get a truck with a conversion but I've been hearing bad things about them. I know vans are popular but I really hate the idea of driving a van. I've been in a truck growing up and I've always driven a truck since I got my license (prior to my injury). I'm a guy so obviously I want something that reflects that like most guys do. I always said I'd get a muscle car like a camaro if I ever got a car but I don't know how realistic that is with a wheelchair. So I'm just curious what others are driving and if anyone has suggestions. Thanks ahead of time for any replies.
    How are you with transfers, and with taking the chair apart yourself? That will determine a lot about what will be the best setup for you.

And I know it's tough, but the more you can rid yourself of "hey I'm a guy so I don't want to drive a dopey looking van", the better. Then you can focus on what will be the best long term for your function and health. But I hear you man. It's tough. I used to race motocross, only had owned trucks prior to my sci, etc. etc.

Now I drive a Mazda5 with a home built chair loading mechanism. The transfers are easy, I don't have to take the chair apart, and it cost me next to nothing and has had zero mechanical issues. I'm a C6 incomplete.

I am c6c7 I had a truck conversion drove from chair it was the truck from hell with the easy lock ne ver worked right I have limited hands and stenght but no way can I break y chair down

I chose van for my ease and convience and I hate it but 1 transfer and I am driving

as for as driving truck I drove 1 ton dually and a 35 on floor horsetrailer my truck was what went to rodeo grocercy store sales calls I never drove a car but for 1 year but now my engry is best served by my ugly used 13500 van

agreed. I'm a c6 no tri's and drove cars for 25 yrs then switched to full size van with transfer seat. life changing, so much easier. I should have done it 10 yrs sooner but I was a bonehead. tore my left rotator cuff and bicep transferring in my cars the last 8 yrs driving them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    How are you with transfers, and with taking the chair apart yourself? That will determine a lot about what will be the best setup for you.

And I know it's tough, but the more you can rid yourself of "hey I'm a guy so I don't want to drive a dopey looking van", the better. Then you can focus on what will be the best long term for your function and health. But I hear you man. It's tough. I used to race motocross, only had owned trucks prior to my sci, etc. etc.

Now I drive a Mazda5 with a home built chair loading mechanism. The transfers are easy, I don't have to take the chair apart, and it cost me next to nothing and has had zero mechanical issues. I'm a C6 incomplete.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer