Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Container home?

Shipping Container home?

Has anyone here ever considered building a shipping container home?

I've researched it before, and the cost to build such a home seems significantly lower than a traditional wooden frame, which could be nice because you could use the savings toward accessible elements and technologies inside the home.

Thoughts?
    Don't call me Barbie, my name is Jen!

I have not considered it. But now might be the time if you are serious. There are lots of containers stacked up way high going idle around here.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

One of the major stumbling blocks I can see is getting building/occupation permits and zoning approval. In addition there are the individual city or town architectural review boards that may think this kind of housing is not appropriate for inclusion in most neighborhoods. I've seen some attractive make overs of containers. Amazing what can be done.

Why wouldn't you just go the trailer route. If you did build a shipping container home, you would basically be building a trailer w/ no wheels from scratch. Would be cheaper just go grab a existing used double wide.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    One of the major stumbling blocks I can see is getting building/occupation permits and zoning approval. In addition there are the individual city or town architectural review boards that may think this kind of housing is not appropriate for inclusion in most neighborhoods. I've seen some attractive make overs of containers. Amazing what can be done.
    There aren't any codes regarding what kind of architectural design a house can be. But if was an issue it's easy to make the house look more conventional!

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Why wouldn't you just go the trailer route. If you did build a shipping container home, you would basically be building a trailer w/ no wheels from scratch. Would be cheaper just go grab a existing used double wide.
    Because I want more space than a double wide, plus I want to design the inside by myself, and cut costs as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairbarbie View Post
    There aren't any codes regarding what kind of architectural design a house can be. But if was an issue it's easy to make the house look more conventional!
    Maybe not in Canada, but in the United States, many city and township design review committees can dictate many features about housing from roof lines to siding material to roofing material to square feet of windows to fencing to, to, to....and more. There are certain communities that "uncoventional" housing designs would not be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Maybe not in Canada, but in the United States, many city and township design review committees can dictate many features about housing from roof lines to siding material to roofing material to square feet of windows to fencing to, to, to....and more. There are certain communities that "uncoventional" housing designs would not be allowed.
    I know, I've heard about those towns! I know there was an uproar from people, in the community where I live, about a house with modern architecture, but there wasn't anything the complaining people could do because there are no guidelines on what style of house can be built. It's a beautiful house, imo.

a shipping container is not that big by the time insulate everthing get a toy trailer rv

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairbarbie View Post
    I know, I've heard about those towns! I know there was an uproar from people, in the community where I live, about a house with modern architecture, but there wasn't anything the complaining people could do because there are no guidelines on what style of house can be built. It's a beautiful house, imo.
    I totally agree with you, the modern architecture of most container homes is very appealing (to some). That said, I know in my community/town, the design review committee would rip you a new one before container housing would be allowed.