Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quads in manual chairs

My son, c6/7, got a Smart Drive last year and LOVES it!

I am C4/5 Incomplete and I am pussing my chair for about 15 years now. I have rims with nibs, but I am rolling only at home or in shopping centres. It would take ages to get somewhere LOL. I will probably buy something like Smart Drive in future...

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I took my power chair today to run a bunch of errands and turned the app on my phone to measure how far I was going. Turned out one of my daily trips to kind of go around the block was .6 miles.. I would do that at some other pushing it about half an hour. I was kind of surprised that it was that far. I had a pair of those power assist wheels long time ago but lost so what strengt that I decided to just go with my spinergy wheels. I think for me next wheelchair provided by Medicare in a few years will be the power assist wheels again. I guess to use them now you have to get all the camber taking out which kind of sucks because I still want to switch between the two sets for exercise. I wish I could use the smartdrive but I use my wrists to stop and turn. Been doing it for years so it's all calloused now. I do a lot of shopping by myself so I roll places, get a bunch of stuff loaded onto the back of my power chair it bags and roll back home. Anyways,?
    How does having spinergy wheels make getting up ramps and other inclines easier. Just because their a little lighter? Or is there some other kind of mechanical advantage.

IReally helps and curb cuts don't know, it's been so long since I've had anything else that I honestly couldn't tell you. I've been putting on a lot of strength lately kind of surprising myself on what I can do. Ramps and curb cuts kind of suck but slowly going back and forth sideways And curb cuts I do backwards. It can be kind of scary when I'm going up backwards by a major street but so far so good. I got a recreational therapist that pushes me pretty hard to do what I can.. I'm friends with a bunch of quite Rugby guys so they push me to. Scott Hogsett, the Scott from Murderball, is a Phoenix heat player so 10 years ago he pushed me to play some rugby. Wish I did. I oh well, next life
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

C6/7 pushing for 30 years come june
    20+ marathons didn't do my shoulders any good, but they're okay
    they only hurt after lifting my weights
    my thumbs now, that's a different story
    they scream at me when the weather is changing

Manual.

When I got injured in '87 I was given the choice of getting either a manual or electric 'chair being injured at C6/C7 with weak manual dexterity. I went with the manual 'chair with coated hand rims for the simple reason of keeping my heart pumping, cardio vascular system running, upper body strength, physical exercise and most importantly breathing (Good for the lungs!).

Pushing a TiLite ZRA 'chair with Surge rubber insert hand rims and watching what you eat helps to keep your weight down, fit and trim.

A simple thing like a 2L bottle cap under the front caster can hang me up too!

Yes, over the years I did get sore muscles, pulled chest muscle, rotator cuff tears and pain in the shoulders but those impairments out weigh the above mentioned.

Going on 30 years injured, looking back, I made the right choice.

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 03-05-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added more detail.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I'm with you all the way titanium, almost 47 years and all manual. Why save body parts, can't sell them, even on ebay! Keep up the good work rybread!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

I'm going to try that when I get a chance. I used to have the e-motion wheels that I used a long time ago but I haven't put them on this chair. On this chair they would have to take out the camber which would suck.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I am trying to get smart drive but I am also trying a gogrit have you seen the pop n drop not that cool