Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quads in manual chairs

Quads in manual chairs

Hi everybody. I'm a C5/6 quad and push a manual chair 80% of the type.. I love it but I'm not independent with it I'm getting pretty good at getting Up hills and going up curb cuts but once in a while the little ledge underneath the door will hang me up. Are any of my quad friends here pushing chairs? I'm friends with Scott Hogsett, the main character of Murderball, and he's just a C6 but fully independent along with several of the other team members for the Phoenix heat.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

yep c6 here always manual. chair setup and pushrims are important
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I am C-7 and used only a manual chair for about 57 years. Destroyed my shoulders doing it.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I am C-7 and used only a manual chair for about 57 years. Destroyed my shoulders doing it.
    That's why I don't use it. Just if I have to travel in a regular car or if my power chair is broken.

Had to quit using a manual chair, same as above. Years and years of wear and tear and overuse = sore shoulders for the rest of your life.

At the very least, get yourself a power assisted chair system. You'll have all the benefits of the clearances afforded by a manual chair and the benefit of saving your shoulders and being more independent and confident in your mobility. I have an Invacare with the extender power assisted system and I can power up a multitiered ramp with absolutely no assistance. Almost equally important is the breaking assistance the chair provides going downhill. Without it you're left to subject yourself to friction burns (even with Hatch gloves), carpal tunnel compression and excessive shoulder stress applying inward force.

In my two decades of pushing a manual chair I use the low projection hand rims as a regular hand rim allowed for very poor energy transfer to the hand rim. As a consequence, where the projection meets the hand, in the webspace between the thumb and index finger at the second thumb joint up from the wrist, large forces were applied to that joint. Fast-forward 20 years and the amount of pain I have in my thumb prevents me from falling asleep, staying asleep or getting back to sleep. Thumb fusion may be required in the future and the postsurgical healing process for this is not one to be taken lightly and will require absolutely no weight-bearing for extended amount of time.

What is the point? To quote from the Vietnam war movie Casualties of War (if I remember correctly), "the point? there is no point, I'm just trying to illuminate the terrain in which we find ourselves".

look at a zx1 or smartdrive.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Been using a manual for the past 4 or 5 years. I've been able to do more with it now that I have the RibGrip hand rims on. Ramps and slight inclines were a problem for me before, but not now. I'm a C5/C6 with no hand or finger function.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

C-5 with Smart Drive for ramps and Florida hills.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

I took my power chair today to run a bunch of errands and turned the app on my phone to measure how far I was going. Turned out one of my daily trips to kind of go around the block was .6 miles.. I would do that at some other pushing it about half an hour. I was kind of surprised that it was that far. I had a pair of those power assist wheels long time ago but lost so what strengt that I decided to just go with my spinergy wheels. I think for me next wheelchair provided by Medicare in a few years will be the power assist wheels again. I guess to use them now you have to get all the camber taking out which kind of sucks because I still want to switch between the two sets for exercise. I wish I could use the smartdrive but I use my wrists to stop and turn. Been doing it for years so it's all calloused now. I do a lot of shopping by myself so I roll places, get a bunch of stuff loaded onto the back of my power chair it bags and roll back home. Anyways,…
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.