Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new laptop ?

Yes, I want at least 500 SSD even better 1TB, 14" or 15.6" (non touch) OLED screen, very fast i-7 6770HQ or similar CPU,
    16 GB RAM, Illuminated Keyboard, good graphic card, long life battery... how much could be...where to find?
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Blog Entries
    If you are a new user with simple needs, starting with Apple might be okay. But switching from PC to Mac was the worst and most tragic decision of my technological life, with repercussions that have yet to end.

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    Yes, I want at least 500 SSD even better 1TB, 14" or 15.6" (non touch) OLED screen, very fast i-7 6770HQ or similar CPU,
    16 GB RAM, Illuminated Keyboard, good graphic card, long life battery... how much could be...where to find?
    Newegg is a decent place to shop online... https://www.newegg.com

You can filter a search by all the specs you listed and more. Tough to get the machine you described for less than $1,000. Unless you build it yourself.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by McLaren87 View Post
    Whatever laptop you get, make sure you get one with an SSD and not a hard drive. Just type SSD vs HDD on youtube.
    so this wouldnt be a good one

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-ay0...Drive/51397788
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post

For what you need, its not bad. It has a hard drive so its going to be loud and slower than a SSD. 1 TB (Terabyte) is 1000 GB (gigabytes) that's a lot of storage. Do you need that much ? If you downloaded a high quality movie from Amazon video, it would be around 2ish GB, just to give you an idea.

CPU (central processing unit). This is the brain of your computer, everything you ask your computer to do - its the CPU doing the tasks. You want at least an i3. That is intel's cheaper CPU of their core series....i3,i5,i7.

MEMORY, or RAM (random access memory). This allows you to have multiple application running at once, so your CPU doesn't have to keep repeating tasks you asked it to do. Example, the more website tabs you have going at once, the more RAM will be used. If you don't have enough RAM, your computer will be slow. You want at least 8GB of RAM.

Storage - SSD or HDD. SSD is faster and has no moving parts. Usually comes in sizes of 128gb, 256gb, 512gb and 1tb. I would recommend at least 256GB. Laptops with SSD are going to be more expensive

So its sort of a balancing act of what you want/need vs how much your willing to spend. If your not willing to spend more than 400, then I think that computer is fine for you.

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post

Check out http://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php That checks off most of your boxes. The ram and storage is upgradeable too.

I can't wait till oled TV's are more affordable, but I don't think I would want one for a computer screen. It would suffer from screen burn pretty quickly I would think.

It might be fine but it's hard to give advise when you haven't said what or why you want a laptop and what type of things you want to do with it. Do you want touch screen? Do you need a DVD player? Is performance a major factor?

Walmart is fine for a lot of things but personally I wouldn't buy my first laptop from them. I'd go to Best Buy or Costco so you could touch it, try it out, talk to someone and explain what your looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairbarbie View Post
    I know this may not be a practical choice, but I'd recommend an Apple computer in the future. I've had mine for 8 years, and it still runs better than my 3 y/o PC.
    True that!
    I still use a PC , but my daughter has a refurbed MAC for over 7 years now and it never quits!

I responded yesterday, but my post never showed up ....weird?

Just to help ya out a bit when shopping......

CPU (central processing unit) - is the brain of your computer, ever task you ask your computer to do, such as opening a browser or watching a video, the CPU is what does the work. Most laptops and PC use intel's CPU's. Their core series is i3,i5,i7. You want at least an i3, which is fine for your use.

Memory/RAM (random access memory) - this allows you to have multiple applications running at once, so your CPU doesn't have to keep repeating tasks. More ram won't make your computer faster, but not having enough will make it slow. You want at least 8GB (gigabyte)

Storage - again SSD vs HDD. SSD have no moving parts, it's faster and quieter. Typically come in sizes of 128gb, 256gb,512gb and 1 tb ( terabyte -1000gb)......a typical HD movie on amazon video is around 1-2 gigabytes. SSD are more expenisve.

So it really comes down to what you want to do and how much your willing to spend. If you don't want to spend more than 400 then its fine for your basic computing needs.

Better yet, if it doesn't have to be a laptop, you can build a PC - its way easier than you think.

Check out http://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php that checks most of your requirements. Also look into external GPU's, I think that is going to become a bigger thing.