Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new laptop ?

new laptop ?

this might sound dumb but are the laptops at walmart just as good as the same brand at bestbuy

and can you just bring it home plug in and its ready or is there a lot of setup stuff to do im not very good at tech stuff just want something for internet usage

thanks
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    this might sound dumb but are the laptops at walmart just as good as the same brand at bestbuy

and can you just bring it home plug in and its ready or is there a lot of setup stuff to do im not very good at tech stuff just want something for internet usage

thanks
    If all you do is browse the web and email I would recommend a chromebook. They have them at walmart: https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...=&wl8=&veh=sem

And to answer your question the only difference between a laptop at best buy and one at walmart will be that the walmart one will be cheaper.

If you are not in a big rush, you might want to check out woot.com They often have great deals on laptops (sometimes new, sometimes refurbished).

(KLD)

A lot of laptops found on Walmart's website are the same models that are on Best Buy's. I was about to buy one from Best Buy and found the exact same model on Walmart and the extended warranty was cheaper too.
    I got the following model: Acer Aspire E5-575-54E8 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i5-6200U Dual-Core Processor, 6GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive
    I bought an extended warranty and bumped the ram up and so far is doing what I need.

cool thanks yall

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    If all you do is browse the web and email I would recommend a chromebook. They have them at walmart: https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...=&wl8=&veh=sem

And to answer your question the only difference between a laptop at best buy and one at walmart will be that the walmart one will be cheaper.

a chromebook is the same thing as a laptop aint it or it looks the same anyway
    does that mean it uses google chrome browser
    how about any kind of setup is it all ready just bring home and plug in

Sure it's a laptop but it doesn't run Microsoft Windows, so it won't run software made for windows. But, they are fairly cheap and are fine for browsing and emails. Before you can make a good decision of what and where to buy, you must first know what you want to do. And yeah, all you have to do is bring it home and plug it in. You will have to answer some questions it's all fairly simple.

Setup is two things:
    - setup your wireless (basically choose your wireless network and enter the password)
    - if you have a gmail account enter the email and password

If you don't have a gmail account you will have to set one up, but that is just choosing a username and password.

The other guy is correct, it wont run word, excel but google docs has excellent version that are similar and if some emails you a microsoft word file google docs can read it (and if it has a virus it wont work).

You said all you did was internet stuff, which is browsing and email, you do more than that (like play graphics heavy games) you need a windows laptop.

I know this may not be a practical choice, but I'd recommend an Apple computer in the future. I've had mine for 8 years, and it still runs better than my 3 y/o PC.
    Don't call me Barbie, my name is Jen!

Whatever laptop you get, make sure you get one with an SSD and not a hard drive. Just type SSD vs HDD on youtube.