Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have or used the Grit Wheelchair?

Anyone have or used the Grit Wheelchair?

Hi, has anyone tried the Grit wheelchair? I'm a T4 para 30 years post and think it might be a good way for me to get around for exercise. Just wondering if anyone has experience and what your thoughts are? Thanks! http://www.gogrit.us/
    "If everything is under control, you are going too slow." - Mario Andretti

Hello Manix5,

I do not have a Grit chair but have recently discovered them. Like you, I am a T-4 para (8 years) and this chair looks interesting. I am going to call them today and find out some more information. One of my concerns is stability. By that I mean, since I have no core muscles, I'm concerned I will be unstable as I try to exert force on the levers. It looks like the dump of the seat pan is designed to keep the upper body somewhat stable but until trying it, I can't really say. They do have a 30 day return policy so that does help. Like most of us, I have collected a few items along the way that I thought would help me exercize or get outside more, only to be frustrated and realize that the item is now an expensive dust collector.

I did speak with a fellow who had one of the first models of this chair, (he has had it about two years) and he did mention that the new ratio drive gearing would be better than what he has. It may be worth spending the extra $250 or so on the upgraded gearing.

Let me know if you find out any further information. Thanks

A woman I know was recently interviewed on Colorado Public Radio about her use of the chair: https://www.cpr.org/news/story/hikin...m-a-wheelchair

I'm sure you could contact her via her website: http://triciadowning.com/contact/

As a c6, I saw three, maybe four of those pictures where I couldn't push myself, those beach pictures notwithstanding. Pushing in dry sand is about impossible, and the truly offroading picture showed him being pushed by his buds.
    The wide single front wheel is the only beneficial thing on that chair IMO
    If you want an off-road specific chair for building muscle, just put some two inch knobbies on an old chair and some 6x1.5 tires on the front and go for it

I think it would be better if it was a pulling action as opposed to a pushing action. I can pull stronger than I can push, I was never any good at press-ups. If struggling up a steep incline I spin the chair round and pull up backwards.

I just bought 1 and I am c6c7 quad I have order a wedge as dump to much had to get 2 man lifted out of it and in less than 30 minutes pink spots on butt its 4 long my elevator is 4 long no room for error

I will be using wedge then an extra jay custion on top and be extremely carefule of butt

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    I just bought 1 and I am c6c7 quad I have order a wedge as dump to much had to get 2 man lifted out of it and in less than 30 minutes pink spots on butt its 4 long my elevator is 4 long no room for error

I will be using wedge then an extra jay custion on top and be extremely carefule of butt
    very bummed going back we have the first nice day in a week we had measure and put in elevator but we aired up tires it scrubb the wall scared of getting stuck so not an option going back dam dam dam is it so hard to find a lever type chair

just pissed off I want to get out under my own power I hate it I hat this

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    just pissed off I want to get out under my own power I hate it I hat this
    Why not get a power assist Tailwind (Iglide), Smartdrive, etc.? They make you feel super human.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I am seeing about a smartdrive Monday with pt but I like the exercise

I just watched some of the Grit videos. The Grit videos&pics clearly show their axle at a slightly minus CoG (axle position), which is critical for keeping weight on the front wheel.

I like my setup a lot better (dual axle and Dragonfly handcycle attachment). If you like, see my signature for pics.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>