Thread: *yawn* *stretch* Is that . . . daylight? /rolls out of cave

Lightbulb *yawn* *stretch* Is that . . . daylight? /rolls out of cave

Hi!

Brief-ish prologue:

I will soon be moving to a nursing home in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

So, I'm starting a business to pay for it.

Bonus: it can help fund/invest in research and/or trials.

For marketing research reasons, the pitch is below.

Note:

Yes, I am moving to a state where every single county voted for Trump is by my choosing.

No, that is not the reason I am moving there.

Yes, the nursing home is a temporary measure.

Save for the occasional respiratory issue, I'm good.

Now, where were we? Ah, yes. Clinical trials.

How will we fund them? Grants and donations are one way, assuming Trump doesn't gut the NIH budget because science is evil, but I have a new method to supplement those funds.

The top three YouTube's "stars", combined, exceeded $30 million in earnings last year. All told, they have fewer than 5,000 videos between them.

Can we replicate their success by putting our personalities on YouTube? Unlikely.

We CAN, however, borrow the Walmart model of high volume/low margins and apply it to YouTube.

YouTube offers an API for software developers to upload videos. If used exclusively for video uploads, their quota allows 31,000 videos to be uploaded every day. That's 11.3 MILLION videos per year.

So let's assume someone came along and said "Hi there, I have the software and infrastructure to easily create and upload 11.3 million videos. Would you like to make some videos, with 80% of the profits from those videos going into a fund to invest in research and clinical trials, 10% going to you, and 10% going to the business?"

Would you be interested?

I cannot guarantee that we would meet or exceed $30 million in profits, but I'm pretty confident that we could raise nearly $1 million per month for the fund after the first year of videos are up. Add another 11.3 million videos in the second year, another in the third year...

We could fund quite a bit, ourselves.

Now I know what you're thinking: 11.3 million videos? Are you crazy???

I am, but that's a separate issue.

It is trivially easy to choose a topic and create a series of 125,000 to 500,000 videos all focused on that topic. When you think in terms of series of that magnitude, reaching 11.3 million videos is achievable.

And I have the server infrastructure to make this happen.

So, who would be willing to make some videos? ^_-

This will probably start in May/June because I have to move, get settled, create enough videos to pay for the nursing home, etc. But, if there's interest, I can help everyone get started so we can make videos ASAP.

-Steven
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 01-31-2017 at 06:18 AM.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

<3

Hey Roman Atwood is #2 and one of my faves!!!!
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Man with a plan!

Ok Brains the techie bit went over my head but if you need a hewer of wood or a drawer of water count me in.

Sounds like fun!

I've had a couple of days to think about this ... you may want to contact a former member who has this fulfilled already - he was quite a following on YouTube. Not quite Roman Atwood or Demo Ranch worthy .. but still .. I looked up egg roll making this morning and his was second to show!

Just for people to get an idea, Roman Atwood brings in a reported $8,000,0000 per year just by making videos that go viral on YouTube. Mind you, a lot has been re-invested in products as well as shirts, hats etc.

There are a lot of gamer reviewers out there ... check out boogie9288 ... guy's a fat lard who just reviews games and talks about how he can't lose weight!

https://www.youtube.com/user/boogie2988

He admitted that YouTube has afforded him the house he lives in plus all paying all of his medical bills (and there are many as he's diabetic).
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Hi!

Brief-ish prologue:
    I will soon be moving to a nursing home in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

So, I'm starting a business to pay for it.

Bonus: it can help fund/invest in research and/or trials.

For marketing research reasons, the pitch is below.

Note:

Yes, I am moving to a state where every single county voted for Trump is by my choosing.

No, that is not the reason I am moving there.

Yes, the nursing home is a temporary measure.

Save for the occasional respiratory issue, I'm good.

Now, where were we? Ah, yes. Clinical trials.

How will we fund them? Grants and donations are one way, assuming Trump doesn't gut the NIH budget because science is evil, but I have a new method to supplement those funds.

The top three YouTube's "stars", combined, exceeded $30 million in earnings last year. All told, they have fewer than 5,000 videos between them.

Can we replicate their success by putting our personalities on YouTube? Unlikely.

We CAN, however, borrow the Walmart model of high volume/low margins and apply it to YouTube.

YouTube offers an API for software developers to upload videos. If used exclusively for video uploads, their quota allows 31,000 videos to be uploaded every day. That's 11.3 MILLION videos per year.

So let's assume someone came along and said "Hi there, I have the software and infrastructure to easily create and upload 11.3 million videos. Would you like to make some videos, with 80% of the profits from those videos going into a fund to invest in research and clinical trials, 10% going to you, and 10% going to the business?"

Would you be interested?

I cannot guarantee that we would meet or exceed $30 million in profits, but I'm pretty confident that we could raise nearly $1 million per month for the fund after the first year of videos are up. Add another 11.3 million videos in the second year, another in the third year...

We could fund quite a bit, ourselves.

Now I know what you're thinking: 11.3 million videos? Are you crazy???

I am, but that's a separate issue.

It is trivially easy to choose a topic and create a series of 125,000 to 500,000 videos all focused on that topic. When you think in terms of series of that magnitude, reaching 11.3 million videos is achievable.

And I have the server infrastructure to make this happen.

So, who would be willing to make some videos? ^_-

This will probably start in May/June because I have to move, get settled, create enough videos to pay for the nursing home, etc. But, if there's interest, I can help everyone get started so we can make videos ASAP.

-Steven

What would be the genre of the videos?
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 02-09-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Any genre you choose that's 1) legal, 2) has potentially profitable ads, and 3) has a semi-legitimate method of comparison.

Want to compare a 2016 Tesla Model S to a 2017 Nissan Leaf? to a 2016 Tesla Model X? to an ... insert car model here?

Want to compare the weather patterns between two zip codes? Weather stations? (Think, which place is better to live/visit in the Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter. Which place is cheaper, better schools, lower crime, etc, etc.)

Every unique comparison is a valid video.

Put more simply, 500 items to compare means 124,750 videos. 750 items to compare means 280,875 videos. 1,000 items to compare means 499,500 videos.

Choose the right topics, gather enough items to compare across those topics, 11.3 million videos, easy.

The "hard" parts?

1. Choose the topics.
    2. Find where to extract the data from.
    3. Find the images to use in the videos.
    4. Think of a generic, 1-3 minute way to present the information in video format.

I'm going to need another week or two before I'm ready to move forward on the initial videos for myself, but... if anyone's up for tackling 1-4 on their own for a topic of their own interest, I am game to offer advice.

And if you're income is capped due to Social Security or something else, when everything's ready, we can cap your earnings at a certain level and shift any excess to the research fund. (Or, say, cap until your monthly portion exceeds a sufficient level.)

Sound good?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.