Thread: Traveling with a Smart Drive

Traveling with a Smart Drive

Anyone travel by air with a Smartdrive? Do you carry it on or put it in a suitcase? Do you have to have the air transportation certificate? I was thinking of leaving it connected to my chair all the way to the gate so I wouldn't have to carry it, and then putting it in a carry on. But it will make my carry on pretty heavy. Are there any other options?
    Push me to the limit,
    maybe I may bend,
    but I will not be broken.
    -Bonnie Raitt

We recently flew to NY then on to Italy. My son used his smart drive right up to the gate. We took it off and put it in the overhead, took his wheels off, cushion, etc. and put it all in the overhead. The Smart Drive was fine. Not one airline employee said anything about it, they just went along with what we were doing. No problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Mombo View Post
    We recently flew to NY then on to Italy. My son used his smart drive right up to the gate. We took it off and put it in the overhead, took his wheels off, cushion, etc. and put it all in the overhead. The Smart Drive was fine. Not one airline employee said anything about it, they just went along with what we were doing. No problem!
    MX1 or MX2? The battery is hidden with the MX2 is why I ask.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

We traveled about 10 to 15 times with the MX-1. Just took it off before getting into the aisle chair & put it in a sturdy bag & usually the crew would help put it into the overhead bin. It's a goog idea to have the certificate in case of any questions, but usually, they don't ask any questions. Traveled with the upgraded MX-2 once and Max Mobility provided a very sturdy bag to make it easy to put in carry on. Good luck with your travels. Only one crew went by the "book" and taped the battery before putting it into the overhead. Have taken the smart drive all over the world, not a problem. Pretend that you know what you are doing and that usually works.
    In the dime stores and bus stations, people talk of situations, read books, repeat quotations, draw conclusions on the wall. ......Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    MX1 or MX2? The battery is hidden with the MX2 is why I ask.
    I believe it's the MX2, it's the latest model.

Yes, it's the MX2
    Push me to the limit,
    maybe I may bend,
    -Bonnie Raitt

So I did as Nirvana suggested and rode my smartdrive to the gate. No problem getting through security. They just swiped it like the rest of my chair. Pulled it off my chair and stuck it in my carry-on once I was at the gate and no one even noticed. Reversed the process on the way out of the airport with great success. It sure is nice when you have a lap full of luggage to have the extra push from the Smartdrive!
    Push me to the limit,
    maybe I may bend,
    -Bonnie Raitt

I have the MX2. Wonderful device and I use it daily. I have the sturdy canvas bag with housing for the drive unit. I take it off at the door to the plane, secure it in the bag, and hand it to the flight attendant to store inside the plane. I'm last off, so I let them store it in one of the lockers they store stuff for people in 1st class.

Like Nirvana said "act like you know what your doing....".