Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full size van

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of great deals on eBay for used E Series Fords.
    those fords are so dam ugly, we looked at a few b4 we bought our chevy.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks Rook! Haven't had any issues so far in the winter and I drove through a couple of really nasty snow storms. I keep it garaged normally, but I left it out in sub-zero temperatures when travelling recently and the UVL worked like a charm. It's well protected inside of it's storage compartment and the van's running boards keep the ice from building up on it while driving.
    Push me to the limit,
    maybe I may bend,
    but I will not be broken.
    -Bonnie Raitt

Fuente - I agree! They definitely used the ugly stick when designing the new Ford Transit. I like the look of the Sprinter a lot better. Also, the Ford doesn't come with four wheel drive which is a necessity in my part of the world
    Push me to the limit,
    maybe I may bend,
    but I will not be broken.
    -Bonnie Raitt

how about a few interior shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Boy View Post
    Fuente - I agree! They definitely used the ugly stick when designing the new Ford Transit. I like the look of the Sprinter a lot better. Also, the Ford doesn't come with four wheel drive which is a necessity in my part of the world
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I was referring to the Econolines up to 2014. I'm not really into the looks of the Transit, maybe it'll grow on me. But from what I've read, the ride and handling qualities of the Transit is superior to the older vans.

agreed, I hear good things about them too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    I was referring to the Econolines up to 2014. I'm not really into the looks of the Transit, maybe it'll grow on me. But from what I've read, the ride and handling qualities of the Transit is superior to the older vans.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Thx ! Very nice setup.

I drove a Ford e150 for 25 years and a Honda Odyssey for the last 5. I have not been impressed minivan durability. They are pussy vehicles. Finicky, complicated, delicate, and prone to a myriad of electronic problems.

If I had the space I would've loved to have Ford for backup, though I cannot use my power chair in it. It had one of the old Braun Rotary lifts, which due to the parallel entry, allowed you to get into the tightest of spaces. All that was needed was 5 foot, not 8 to 10 feet as needed for perpendicular entry.

That Rotary lift 25 years old and was in as good a shape as the day I got it, only having had one or two minor electrical issues over the years. Forklift technology, strong, simple. The new stuff is too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    I drove a Ford e150 for 25 years and a Honda Odyssey for the last 5. I have not been impressed minivan durability. They are pussy vehicles. Finicky, complicated, delicate, and prone to a myriad of electronic problems.

If I had the space I would've loved to have Ford for backup, though I cannot use my power chair in it. It had one of the old Braun Rotary lifts, which due to the parallel entry, allowed you to get into the tightest of spaces. All that was needed was 5 foot, not 8 to 10 feet as needed for perpendicular entry.

That Rotary lift 25 years old and was in as good a shape as the day I got it, only having had one or two minor electrical issues over the years. Forklift technology, strong, simple. The new stuff is too complicated.
    Likewise Crags. My E150 was a tank and took it more places hunting some guys would a pickup. As much junk as I carry, there's no way a mini would work for me, unless it was simply a 2nd vehicle only used for trips. I had an old Crow River swing away rotary lift too and it was convenient as hell.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Do the old Fords need the floor lowered? Minis have issues because they were never designed for the extensive modifications wheelchair users require.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete