Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leg bag fills expands like balloon from air. What is up??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    According to this report, it isn't air inside the bag, it is gas caused by the introduction of gas producing bacteria into the leg bag, while connecting directly to or by extension tubing to the leg or night drainage bag.

http://pubadmin.ostfold.net/data/dow...999/741823.pdf

Urease producing bacteria is producing gas. The most common are:

Proteus mirabilis and Proteus vulgaris
    Ureaplasma urealyticum
    , a relative of Mycoplasma spp.
    Nocrdia
    Campylobacter ureolyticus
    Cryptococcu
    s spp.
    Helicobacter pylori
    Enteric bacterier inkl. Proteus spp., Klebsiella spp., Morganella, Prividencia, Serriata
    spp, Brucella Staphylococcus saprophyticus Pseudomonas
    E.coli

It has up to now, been discussed if E.coli is producing urease. Several research groups have performed a lot investigation in that area, and have reached the conclusion that at least 2 or 3 E.coli strains produce urease (8).
    Discussion:
    It is here shown that the great amount of gas (air) occurring in the urine drainage bag, most probably comes from gas formed by the bacteria which has come into the urine drainage bag. The bacteria can be of various types, including the patient? s own bacterial flora, often via the carers handling and bad habits. The probability of bacterial contamination is significant when using the traditional manual connection of urine drainage bag tube to the *uridome.

*Urodomes are external catheters.
    Thank you, I never thought of this possibility, but why not right?
    It's not to say it's UTI bacteria, it's just bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    Could there be a small hole in the tubing that's allowing air to be sucked into the system by the syphoning effect of the urine passing down into the bag?
    Not in my case because I connect the bag right to the catheter, never use extension tubing.

Wow - I just learned a whole lot. Never gave it much thought but I have seen it.

ckf

Mine does it every now & then. Thank goodness for my electric leg bag emptier.

Come to think of it, when it did happen to me it was only in the morning.

If it's bacteria, might I ask what you do to clean it out every night? I usually rinse mine out with some hydrogen peroxide at the end of the day. Then I thoroughly rinse with water. And, I've found that putting in a cap full of the old style listerine (the yellow one) seems to help with odor control.

Just my $.02
    Last edited by StephenD; 01-25-2017 at 06:33 PM. Reason: misspelling

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you. . ."
    --J.P. Sartre

It is worth mentioning that if this is caused by bacteria, the bacteria may not be in the urine coming from the bladder, it may be introduced by a caregiver or yourself (from hands) when the bag is being attached to the indwelling catheter or condom catheter.

Standard practice for cleaning the leg bag is a 10% solution of household bleach and water, swished around, drained, rinsed and hung or set on paper towels to air dry.

I'm not a fan of bleach because small splashes ruin clothes. I use about 3 tablespoons of isopropyl alcohol, swish around, drain and rinse. I also swab the outside of the bag, fittings, and tubing with isopropyl alcohol.

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    This used to happen to me when I first had my catheter put in. I don't really notice it anymore, but it could be because I had a SP catheter put in, now, instead of wearing the legbag on the side of my leg, at about the knee level, now I wear it over the knee. It's just the way I like it. I suppose I could use more tubing and wear it farther to the side, but I've gotten used to it the way it is now. Because of that, it fills more quickly I suppose. When it seems full, after I undo the leg straps, it's actually only about half full. I think there isn't much room for air or gas to accumulate because of displacement.