Thread: Asterias? embryonic stem cell therapy linked to sustained improvements in motor funct

Thumbs up Asterias? embryonic stem cell therapy linked to sustained improvements in motor funct

excellent news!!!!!!!!

http://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech...function-small

Asterias Biotherapeutics has posted data from a phase 1/2a trial of its embryonic stem cell-based therapy. After six months, motor levels of all five evaluable patients who received a 10-million-cell dose have improved.
    Fremont, California-based Asterias gave the 10-million-cell dose to six patients with cervical spinal cord injuries, five of whom have completed at least six months of follow-up. All five of the patients saw their motor level rise by at least one grade, on at least one side, against the International Standards for Neurological Classification of Spinal Cord Injury scale. The score of one of the five went up two levels on both sides. Another experienced a two-notch increase but only on one side. Patients? Upper Extremity Motor Scores improved, too.
    If the improvements are attributable to the therapy, the data suggest AST-OPC1 cells improve motor function in patients with the most severe form of spinal injury. The data also reveal a clean safety profile, with Asterias reporting no serious adverse events.
    ?The results to date in the 10 million cell cohort treated with AST-OPC1 cells show that the ..............

I ran across this today as well. It's a couple months old but still...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ2ycm21CwA

It's a sub-acute therapy (OPC's). They started injecting their patients with 20 million cells back in October.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    It's a sub-acute therapy (OPC's). They started injecting their patients with 20 million cells back in October.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the two guys in the video were at 10 million correct?

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the two guys in the video were at 10 million correct?
    I think so. I don't believe much info has been put out about their sub-acute 20 million. This isn't a chronic therapy however. These are OPC.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I think so. I don't believe much info has been put out about their sub-acute 20 million. This isn't a chronic therapy however. These are OPC.
    Yea I knew they where acute but you still gotta be happy for the patients. May not help me but I'm glad it has helped them.

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    Yea I knew they where acute but you still gotta be happy for the patients. May not help me but I'm glad it has helped them.
    Sorry to be a stickler, but these OPC don't work well in the acute injury either. They're performing best after the acute phase has calmed down but not well if one waits too long going into the chronic stage. I'm with you too on hoping this therapy will help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky831 View Post
    I hope they do Chronic soon.

I am not under the impression that this company even has interest in developing a chronic therapy...not against an Acute therapy, Juss sayin
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature