Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suprapubic Catheter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    Is there any possibility this company might start making their catheters in a larger size? I use a fr22 and put it like to try them but the 18 is much too small.
    They are working on a larger (20fr) size. When they get past testing they will be releasing it, but the 18fr is working really well for me now.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    While tweaking the amount of fluid to inflate supra pubic balloons is something that many do, it is worth noting that a supra pubic catheter is always draining, so 15cc of balloon inflation shouldn't make any difference, since your bladder doesn't retain or hold bladder, which is why the bladder gets smaller on a constantly draining catheter. Some sources purport that taking an anticholinergic helps to retain bladder size.
    I've started using less saline for better draining with the conventional catheters. Actually, my sci urology nurse recommended that. It doesn't cause the catheter tip to dig into my bladder wall as often. But, after giving some thought to the Duette's design, that shouldn't be an issue. So, yes, I'm thinking the full amount of will not be an issue now.

I just ordered a duette sample, i'm concerned because i use a 24fr catheter now but constantly disreflexic from the tip digging in my bladder. going from 24 to a 18 is a big jump. duette company said they might have a 20fr ready for market in 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    I just ordered a duette sample, i'm concerned because i use a 24fr catheter now but constantly disreflexic from the tip digging in my bladder. going from 24 to a 18 is a big jump. duette company said they might have a 20fr ready for market in 6 months
    French gauge 24 is 25.30mm in circumference
    French gauge 18 is 18.85mm in circumference

That is a 6.65mm difference or a tiny bit over 1/4 inch. When you think about circumference, that really isn't a lot, especially when stomas can close so quickly.

I hope Poiesis does come out with a 20Fr Duette catheter, but that has been the story for about a year. Maybe that means they are closer to bringing it to market, I don't know.

When you decide to try the 18Fr Duette catheter, pick a couple of days when you will be home and have some down time to monitor what is going on with the catheter. Possibly inserting the catheter when you get into bed for the night is a good idea because you may be able to prepare for any possible leaking with absorbent pads, where that may be more difficult dressed and up in your chair.