Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Suprapubic Catheter ?

  1. #1

    Suprapubic Catheter ?

    I had a suprapubic catheter done back in September of last year. My doctor fitted me with a size 20 french. I'd like to try one of those newly designed catheters that have the bubble at the end since my bladder is so small. They only go up to an 18 French though. Do any of you for see any problems with me trying the 18?

  2. #2
    Are you talking about trying the Poiesis Duette catheter. These catheters have two balloons, with the drainage eyelets between the balloons.

    You probably shouldn't have any trouble trying the 18Fr guage. The difference, as you can see below, is pretty minimal and the stoma should heal around the circumference of the catheter pretty quickly. Running the change past your urologist is probably a reasonable thing to do.

    French Gauge 18 - Circumference is 18.85mm
    French Gauge 20 - Circumference is 20.94mm

    French Gauge 18 - Diameter is 6mm
    French Gauge 20 - Diameter is 6.67mm

    French Gauge 18 - Diameter is 0.236 inch
    French Gauge 20 - Diameter is 0.363 inch

    Pick a time when you have some down time, when you will be home and can monitor things. It might be a good idea to insert the smaller catheter early in the evening, allowing all night for the stoma to heal around the smaller size.

  3. #3
    Senior Member goldnucs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Posts
    557
    I've got a 16.
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

  4. #4
    That's exactly the catheter that I'm wanting to try. I've received my samples and would like to see if I can drain better. I'm waiting for word from my urologist too. Thanks for your info��.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by kmelinda View Post
    That's exactly the catheter that I'm wanting to try. I've received my samples and would like to see if I can drain better. I'm waiting for word from my urologist too. Thanks for your info��.
    Don't be surprised if your doctor has never heard of these catheters. Mine hadn't.

    I think it is worth mentioning that you need to read the directions for filling the balloons. The amount of fluid you use to inflate the balloons is different.
    1. Fill the *Non Black* valve port (Anchor Balloon) with 10cc of Sterile Water.
    2. Fill the Black valve port (Protective Balloon) with 5cc of Sterile Water.

    *Non Black* valve port and catheter sizes in French gauge
    14 Fr is green
    16 Fr is orange
    18 Fr is red
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-23-2017 at 10:03 PM.

  6. #6
    Thanks for the extra information. I was wondering about the balloons and planning on reading the material before trying a catheter. I may have to tweak the bubble amounts though. My bladder only holds about 30ccs.

    Actually, my urologist has heard of these catheters, but she didn't know much about them. She was planning on researching them further.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by kmelinda View Post
    Thanks for the extra information. I was wondering about the balloons and planning on reading the material before trying a catheter. I may have to tweak the bubble amounts though. My bladder only holds about 30ccs.

    Actually, my urologist has heard of these catheters, but she didn't know much about them. She was planning on researching them further.
    While tweaking the amount of fluid to inflate supra pubic balloons is something that many do, it is worth noting that a supra pubic catheter is always draining, so 15cc of balloon inflation shouldn't make any difference, since your bladder doesn't retain or hold bladder, which is why the bladder gets smaller on a constantly draining catheter. Some sources purport that taking an anticholinergic helps to retain bladder size.

  8. #8
    I was using a 22fr before switching to the Duette. I went from leaking daily around the stoma before using the Duette to occasionally, and for about the last 5 months have only leaked when I had excessive bowel pressure on days when I drank more than usual. You shouldn't have difficulties switching.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Cowboys_Place's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    544
    Is there any possibility this company might start making their catheters in a larger size? I use a fr22 and put it like to try them but the 18 is much too small.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    Is there any possibility this company might start making their catheters in a larger size? I use a fr22 and put it like to try them but the 18 is much too small.
    Read the post just above yours:
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I was using a 22fr before switching to the Duette. I went from leaking daily around the stoma before using the Duette to occasionally, and for about the last 5 months have only leaked when I had excessive bowel pressure on days when I drank more than usual. You shouldn't have difficulties switching.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 06:30 AM
  2. Suprapubic Catheter
    By jodielynn519 in forum Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 10:53 PM
  3. suprapubic catheter
    By lynteps in forum Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM
  4. Suprapubic catheter (help)
    By Rlsolice in forum Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 03:58 PM
  5. Suprapubic Catheter
    By spike in forum Care
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 08:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •