Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is my chair heavy?

Question Is my chair heavy?

Hi, I've just weighed it's and it weighs 24lb all in, adding the cushion it weighs 27lb, it seems heavy to me loading it into the car. It's an aluminium adjustable chair with quite a long frame because my knees no longer bend properly (70 degree frame angle). It's got wire wheels with MP tyres and a plywood seatpan, although the plywood is quite thin @ 5.5mm (not what sure that is in imperial?).

Although I can't afford something like a Tilite TR, if I could would it be very much lighter?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What is the bare weight without the wheels and cushion?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

15.8 pounds.

My TR has a fixed back, CF camber tube. Without the wheels and cushion it weights 9 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    My TR has a fixed back, CF camber tube. Without the wheels and cushion it weights 9 pounds.
    Cor that's ever so light!

PS: Mine has a folding back and aluminium CT.

A nominal weight for an ultra-lightweight titanium wheelchair with an upholstery back and no cushion is about 20 lbs.

A while back I weighed some chairs I had/have. Each have cloth backs and seats. Wheels were off, . Tilite ZR (original) 14.5 lbs. Invacare A4 15.1 lbs, Invacare Crossfire 18.9, Quickie Shadow modified tennis 11.5 lbs.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    A nominal weight for an ultra-lightweight titanium wheelchair with an upholstery back and no cushion is about 20 lbs.
    I'd say no wheel locks, a fixed back, no side guards, and titanium fork stems and axles as well. Also need to be pretty small. Stephen212's TiLite is a 15x16 minimalist chair and weighs in at 22lbs, with a sub-1lb cushion on it. Another TiLite in this other thread is over 25lbs without the cushion.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...1-Chair-Weight

I posted a thread here many many years ago showing pictures of me weighing parts of my 15x16 Lasher BT-Mg and it came to 21.5lbs.

I'd say a 'normal' weight for an ultra light is closer to 25lbs + a few more for a cushion.

Steel axles are ~3lbs for a set, and steel fork stems are ~1lb each. A raw frame can be 10lbs, sure, but add brakes sideguards and hardware/fasteners/stems/axles (9-12lbs) then wheels (another 7-9lbs) and a cushion (3-7lbs) and 30lbs is a realistic 'ultra light)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I'd say a 'normal' weight for an ultra light is closer to 25lbs + a few more for a cushion.
    The question is, could a a titanium wheelchair be very much lighter? The answer is yes it could easily be made a couple pounds lighter, or more if you got serious about it. Of course, it could be heavier if you throw in steel parts. But that wasn't the question.
    Last edited by August West; 01-24-2017 at 12:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    The question is, could a a titanium wheelchair be very much lighter? The answer is yes it could easily be made a couple pounds lighter, or more if you got serious about it. Of course, it could be heavier if you throw in steel parts. But that wasn't the question.
    Could it? Perhaps.

TiLite is the only manufacturer using the Ti these days. Their chairs come standard with steel stems, axles, and fasteners.

The lightest functional titanium frame chair I know of, weighed by a real user, not marketing material, is stephen212's TiLite at 22lbs, and that has titanium stems and axles, as well as a few other non-standard weight savings adaptations (welded back and lock brackets, carbon fiber camber tube, aluminum fasteners) A 'nominal' weight is not 20lbs. That would be an exceptional example.

My point in posting is to not leave anyone with a false sense of what a 'nominal' weight for an 'ultra-light' chair, setup for the real world, actually is. There is plenty enough hype around weight in the wheelchair market IMO.

20lbs may well be possible, but it can hardly be considered typical. Andy's TiLite TR from the linked thread is 32lbs!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments