Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is my chair heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    Unrealistic! It would take a lot of money for all the options(a lot of CF) to get that low of a weight, and probably leaving off things many want for an everyday chair.
    Of course, user options vary. But we need a standard and it has to be the basic configuration. Consider another example. Car companies specify MPG under basic conditions: one driver, empty trunk, flat roads. But that’s not you. You have 2 people in your car, stuff in the trunk, and lots of hills. You say the specified MPG values are unrealistic. But no one said it is supposed to be realistic. It is supposed to be a standard.

What is the standard for an ultra-lightweight wheelchair? The configuration has to be basic. For a titanium wheelchair, the standard has to be using titanium wherever possible, or an alternate standard (like carbon fiber), wherever titanium is not possible. Of course, it’s going to be expensive. What did you expect?

By the way, I'm not here to say what is realistic for you. But for me, 20 lbs is an easy target.
    Last edited by August West; 01-26-2017 at 04:06 AM.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Of course, user options vary. But we need a standard and it has to be the basic configuration. Consider another example. Car companies specify MPG under basic conditions: one driver, empty trunk, flat roads. But that’s not you. You have 2 people in your car, stuff in the trunk, and lots of hills. You say the specified MPG values are unrealistic. But no one said it is supposed to be realistic. It is supposed to be a standard.

What is the standard for an ultra-lightweight wheelchair? The configuration has to be basic. For a titanium wheelchair, the standard has to be using titanium wherever possible, or an alternate standard (like carbon fiber), wherever titanium is not possible. Of course, it’s going to be expensive. What did you expect?

By the way, I'm not here to say what is realistic for you. But for me, 20 lbs is an easy target.
    I don't need you to explain ANYTHING to me about wheelchairs. You seem to be a self proclaimed expert and possibly you need a new scale? Thanks for the reminder of why I quit looking at CC.

Don't walk out on us jschism, CC has lost too much of what it once was already!
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Don't walk out on us jschism, CC has lost too much of what it once was already!
    Haha. Too bad we can't see all the posts from Toto about all these weights and such. I'm guessing a "new" member would argue him,also? It's not just CC that has gone bad, it's everything on the internet.

Blog Entries
    Haha. Too bad we can't see all the posts from Toto about all these weights and such. I'm guessing a "new" member would argue him,also? It's not just CC that has gone bad, it's everything on the internet.
    Indeed. This topic has been thoroughly documented, with photo evidence. Between totol1 and SCI_OTR the realities of chair and component weights was laid bare and we were freed from enduser assumptions and marketing hype.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I have an Areo T and it comes in fully assembled and 25 1/2 lbs thats everything. my seat is 15x15. My chair is not big at all. my niece whos a child her chair comes in at weighing 24 lbs her seat is 13x13

I don't need you to explain ANYTHING to me about wheelchairs. You seem to be a self proclaimed expert and possibly you need a new scale? Thanks for the reminder of why I quit looking at CC.
    I have no idea who you are. Apparently you are the resident expert? I am just another person in a wheelchair here to share my personal experiences and to help others. What is the purpose of this website if we can't do that without being chastised? It wasn't personal. How is your attitude helping anyone?

Quickie Titanium with titanium forks, no casters (it's in storage at the time), titanium footrest, titanium camber tube, scissor locks, upholstery sling, aluminum folding back with upholstery Ride Corbac, freewheel mount, and luggage rack = 11.8 lbs.

Outfront Shadow 25" wheels with Primo tires, aluminum handrails, titanium axles = 3.8 lbs each

No cushion

total weight = 19.4 lbs

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by August West; 01-26-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    What size frame?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    What size frame?
    15" wide, 16"deep, 15" tall

I need 16" width. Adjusting the threaded tube +0.5" on each side of the camber tube provides the 16" width. But I still have a 15" wide frame so that saves some weight.
    Last edited by August West; 01-26-2017 at 07:08 PM.