Thread: Drive Medical LS 9500 low air loss, lateral rotation mattress

Drive Medical LS 9500 low air loss, lateral rotation mattress

I have managed to develop a new pressure sore on my tailbone, the site of one of my prior stage four pressure sores (other was on my spine.) Relatives got me a Drive Medical LS 9500 low air loss, lateral rotation mattress from the DME which provided my last two mattresses (starting with the Clinidyne low air loss, lateral rotation mattress I loved until it broke down after 2 1/2 years, and couldn't be repaired because Clinidyne was bought by Stryker, which stopped making mattresses. Because it was only 2.5 years, Medicare would not replace it with another low air loss lateral rotation mattress. Fortunately, I had healed by that time.) I first used it last night. This mattress does seem to turn 40 degrees, but it is uncomfortable, and I'm going to have to adjust one of the turned positions possibly, because it seemed to cause dysreflexia. A lot of settings have to be set to prepare it for turning, and turned off to get it ready for me to be turned for dressing, wound care, etc. When it is turning, I can't use my TV remote on it because of the position of the bolsters.

Does anyone have, or have experience with, one of these mattresses?

Thank you.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Alan, what is your level of injury, please? I've read several of your posts with interest, but not knowing your level of injury leaves a lot to my imagination.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Alan, what is your level of injury, please? I've read several of your posts with interest, but not knowing your level of injury leaves a lot to my imagination.
    You can see this information under this member's profile page.

(KLD)

I'm C-5, with seeming ongoing ascension of my central pain symptoms, and increasing difficulty moving my arms due to shoulder blade problems and my pains in that area. Annual MRIs of my neck so nothing they could be causing those problems, or so I'm told by the doctors who look at them.

I've been using the mattress, set at 40 degrees turn. When I'm turned to the right, my upper right arm is squashed between my upper body and the last section of the mattress, which is the part that forms the barrier to keep the person in bed from sliding off the mattress. There isn't the same problem turning to the left. Even if I get myself positioned closer to the left side of the bed before turning on the mattress pump, I eventually wind up in the same circumstance. I'm now trying turning 30 degrees instead. I missed the Clindyne mattress I was prescribed in 20009. I believe it turned differently, and I don't remember squashed arms. Unfortunately, the pump broke after 2 1/2 years, Stryker had bought the company and stopped making mattresses, so I could get it repaired, and Medicare would pay for a new low air loss, lateral rotation mattress because it had been five years. Medicare now doesn't pay for them at all.

SCI Nurse - being that it is a low air loss mattress, do you know how much fabric (mattress cover, bedsheet, draw sheet) can be under me and still allow the low air loss effect to be helpful?

Thank you.
    Alan

We recommend nothing between you and the cover sheet that comes with the LAL mattress, but if you must, a single layer of flat sheet (not tucked in) to use as a draw sheet is OK. Any Chux should be air-permeable, not the ones with plastic backing. The more layers, the less air flow and the less pressure reduction with these mattress systems.

(KLD)

Hi Alan,
    I was wondering if you ever got your mattress situation figured out. I bought my son this same mattress and for some reason, it only rotates the top half of his body and he needs the bottom half rotating due to some small pressure sores. I can't make heads or tails out of the instruction booklet which is useless. Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by DavesMom View Post
    Hi Alan,
    I was wondering if you ever got your mattress situation figured out. I bought my son this same mattress and for some reason, it only rotates the top half of his body and he needs the bottom half rotating due to some small pressure sores. I can't make heads or tails out of the instruction booklet which is useless. Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong?
    Unfortunately, I have no idea. I am still using the same mattress, set on full turn and 10 minutes.

The place from where you got the mattress is no help?
    Alan