Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast milk for SCI?

Breast milk for SCI?

My father is a new C3 incomplete as of 1/3/17. He currently lives in Florida and is at a hospital in Florida. He will be moved to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, GA for rehab next week. I have a very bizarre, yet serious question. Does anyone know if breast milk has been linked to benefit SCI patients? I have tried researching and haven't been able to find any studies done. Breast milk has always been referred to as *magic* for infants, so I'm curious if ANYONE knows ANYTHING about this. I have breast milk (as I am a new mom), and I'm curious if this could help/benefit my father in ANY way. Any information or knowledge on this would be much appreciated. THANK YOU!!!

Hi Kelly, I'm sorry about your father being injured. I have no idea about breastmilk but it seems very unlikely. It sounds like you desperately want to help him but SCI is probably very different from anything you've experienced. Getting him to Shepards Center is what he needs and they will help you better understand what can be done. Prayers for you and your family

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Would make for a good study, considering come of the off the wall crazy stuff that people try $$$$$$$$. No reason why this couldn't help.

It probably wouldn't hurt him (would he drink it or get it through a tube feeding) but I am unaware of any studies showing any benefit of the administration of breast milk for adults for any condition, much less SCI. The major benefits for babies have to do with less allergens for the protein components, and the antibodies received through milk from the mother, which help to ward off infection. I am unaware of any evidence that breast milk, even for infants, makes any difference in neuron sprouting or central nervous system growth (or regeneration). Probably better to use your milk for your own baby, or donate it to a milk bank than to administer it to your father.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 01-20-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks all for the feedback. I have excess milk so it may be something we will look into. My father is able to breathe on own and can eat and drink (no feeding tube).

If your father is in Florida, why isn't he being referred to Brooks Rehabilitation (http://www.brooksrehab.org/inpatient...ation-hospital) as they have the best program for therapy right now and they have an excellent adaptive sports and recreation program. Brooks is located in Jacksonville, Florida and they just opened a new long term rehab unit where the family can stay too. They also have a Neuro Recovery Center that offers FES, Bioness, Exoskeleton, Zero G etc...(http://www.brooksrehab.org/outpatien...ecovery-center)

Also, if you can afford it, I would get a second opinion from Dr. Barth Green of the Miami Project (http://www.themiamiproject.org/) which is located in Miami. Dr. Green is known around the world and his team has worked on very difficult cases.(http://med.miami.edu/news/dr.-barth-...ogical-surgery

KellyA, as you have probably read the first year is critical in recovery and so getting your Dad the best help is paramount. You will have to be your father's strength on this long road ahead.

Shepherd Center is considered one of the leading SCI rehab centers in the world. I am sure her father will get excellent care there.

I don't know how you can say that Brooks is the best program, when it is not a Model System Center. Although it is CARF accredited as a SCSC, it is among many facilities nationally to have that accreditation, and programs are not ranked by CARF. It also did not make the US News & World Report list of Top 10 Rehab Hospitals in the USA, as the Shepherd Center did: http://myptsolutions.com/10-best-reh...-world-report/

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Shepherd Center is considered one of the leading SCI rehab centers in the world. I am sure her father will get excellent care there.

I don't know how you can say that Brooks is the best program, when it is not a Model System Center. Although it is CARF accredited as a SCSC, it is among many facilities nationally to have that accreditation, and programs are not ranked by CARF. It also did not make the US News & World Report list of Top 10 Rehab Hospitals in the USA, as the Shepherd Center did: http://myptsolutions.com/10-best-reh...-world-report/

(KLD)
    I stand corrected. I just meant for Florida, Brooks is the best and why transport him to Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Califanna View Post
    I stand corrected. I just meant for Florida, Brooks is the best and why transport him to Atlanta.
    Because the Shepherd Center is BETTER.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Because the Shepherd Center is BETTER.

(KLD)
    If you want the best, Chicago is number 1. You gotta look at the whole picture of what the facility provides to the patient and family. It is an all around provision of services. I won't make any personal suggestions from my personal experiences as SCI-Nurse is sure to shoot them down.

Good luck at Shepherd Center.