Thread: SCI Nurse- Use of Fibercon with Miralax

SCI Nurse- Use of Fibercon with Miralax

I'm c6-7 incomplete, Bowel program every other day. Use MB with digstim and take 4 and sometimes 6 Fibercon daily. Consistency tends to be pastelike without the fiber. I still will have times where Getting the stool to move down is difficult. My hemorrhoids are so painful and can trigger my AD. Taking two dulcolax the night before gives great results. I understand the potential for problems associated with long term use of oral dulcolax.

Will taking Miralax negate the benefits of taking the Fibercon? Or do they complement each other.

I concentrate on fluids and a high fiber diet. Take no pain Meds. Am 6 years out and pretty independent. Beginning to research benefits of Peristeen
    C6/7 Incomplete

Fibercon generally will help form up your stool if that is your purpose for taking it, and in my opinion does a better job of this than psyllium.

Bisacodyl is a stimulant that increases peristalsis. It can actually work against the Fibercon, since it causes stool to move more quickly through the gut, and therefore the body has less opportunity to absorb water and make the stool firmer.

Miralax is an osmotic laxative that will pull water from your body into your gut, making stool softer and also has a mild stimulant effect (increasing peristalsis).

I am concerned you are taking so many meds for your bowels, some of which appear to be working at cross-purposes. Have you tried using your diet more to firm up you stool by adding such things as dehydrated banana chips, live culture yogurt, hard yellow cheese, and tea?

When you say a high fiber diet, how much dietary fiber are you taking? How much liquid do you drink daily, and what types?

(KLD)

My goal is 8-10 glasses of water or tea each day. Dietary fiber is in the form of 1/2 sweet potatoe, nuts, banana daily. I could definitely add hard cheeses to that.
    I only use the oral dulcolax maybe once a month. This is because I'm not eliminating well due to the stool consistency. After taking the dulcolax by mouth, I will pass a very large amount of stool.

The qod routine is fibercon (daily), MB, digistim. If I add Miralax instead of the dulcolax by mouth does it work at cross purposes with the Fibercon.
    C6/7 Incomplete

No, you can, if necessary, combine bisacodyl tablets with calcium polycarbophil.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD really appreciate the advice. On another topic, would love to be admitted to the private Women's forum/group.
    C6/7 Incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Beachtime View Post
    Thanks KLD really appreciate the advice. On another topic, would love to be admitted to the private Women's forum/group.
    Write a PM to Jim. I cannot admit you, and the assigned moderators are no longer active on our forums.

(KLD)