Thread: California Stars

Blog Entries

California Stars

Flashback: summer music festivals, cycling in an August rainstorm, writing my final grad school papers lying in front of the fire eating Thai food, dancing to the the Allman Brothers at a Shenandoah trailhead, noting during a sticky Dodge Colt excursion that Bakersfield, California is the hottest location in the covenantal US, taking a community ed course on the jazz greats?

I got an Echo for my birthday. "Alexa, play Billy Bragg" was the first thing that came to mind to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Flashback: summer music festivals, cycling in an August rainstorm, writing my final grad school papers lying in front of the fire eating Thai food, dancing to the the Allman Brothers at a Shenandoah trailhead, noting during a sticky Dodge Colt excursion that Bakersfield, California is the hottest location in the covenantal US, taking a community ed course on the jazz greats?

I got an Echo for my birthday. "Alexa, play Billy Bragg" was the first thing that came to mind to give it a try.
    Just for what it's worth (not much, I know), lived a couple of years in Bakersfield. Grew up in Phoenix. Phoenix is hotter. Actually Bakersfield ranks 12th in US cities with the most days over 90?.

Like trivia!

Blog Entries
    GJ, have you an idea of the ideal? NJ has seemed a lot more temperate the last few years, although I haven't really been out that much. But I haven't had to pay to shovel my driveway. Southern California sounds really great, although I would miss autumn. I wonder if you lose appreciation of the spectacular days if you get them all the time.

You sent me on an interesting Google excursion: http://farmersalmanac.com/weather/20...ottest-cities/

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    GJ, have you an idea of the ideal? NJ has seemed a lot more temperate the last few years, although I haven't really been out that much. But I haven't had to pay to shovel my driveway. Southern California sounds really great, although I would miss autumn. I wonder if you lose appreciation of the spectacular days if you get them all the time.

You sent me on an interesting Google excursion: http://farmersalmanac.com/weather/20...ottest-cities/
    I used to live in just west of downtown Los Angeles. Now I live in the San Francisco Bay area, east of the Caldicott tunnel. We have much more seasonal change here than anywhere I have lived and I prefer it over anywhere I have lived so far. As far as ideal climate, that is totally subjective.

One great thing about Southern California is all the many microclimates we have. You can literally go skiing in the mountains in the morning and surfing in the ocean in the afternoon, view wildflowers in the desert in 100Fs in the morning, and have lunch by the ocean in 60 degree weather the same day. If you miss traditional fall, you can go to the Sierra Nevada (east or west slope) and see the aspen and birch turning colors, plus enjoy the spectacular fall sunsets we frequently have next to the ocean.

The main drawback is that housing is very expensive in the more desirable parts of the state. Hate to say it, but we always considered Bakersfield the armpit of the Central Valley when I was growing up and when I married a man from there, and my mother-in-law couldn't get out of town (to Petaluma) fast enough when she retired!

(KLD)

I left So. California because of the expense and traffic. When it was affordable, it was a great place to live like SCI-Nurse said. If you have the money, the best place to live is Santa Barbara. Cottage Health is there and they have a Rehabilitation Hospital so they have an adapted exercise facility with a 90 degree pool. They have nightlife on State Street and a nice long stretch of sidewalk along the beach. It also is pretty lush with trees compared to So. California which is pretty much referred to as the "Concrete Jungle".

Santa Barbara is in Southern California...and one of the most expensive areas to live.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Santa Barbara is in Southern California...and one of the most expensive areas to live.

(KLD)
    You are correct. I just meant that if I was gonna live in California and I had the money, I would live there because of the climate and what is available. I lived in San Diego, Riverside, Los Angeles and Santa Barbara counties and the best (not from national rating but personal opinion) was Santa Barbara.

ahhh........summer time fests, the rain on my skin as I ran thru the woods...the beaches at night with Iron Maiden blasting......oh yeah...its the time of the season...miss those crazy days of youth...the spring evenings, the tell of warmer days to unfold.... the crunch of leaves, the crispness of the air, the full moon on the fields below the mountains as we sat and drank during the autumn .... winter's breath of cold north winds on our faces as we huddled and kissed with my loved one then...groovy thoughts on this night..