Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desk/Computer chair?

Good point on the arm support. I don't have any armrests on the chair and, as a T3-T7 I have virtually zero trunk support so I wind up with pretty significant force on the heels of my hands as I type. I think an articulated monitor stand like that would work with my recliner chair and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I think an articulated monitor stand like that would work with my recliner chair and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo.
    Yup, that'd be cool. I visited my junk room with a camera and took a shot of it. Should you want to build one, the threaded pipe and flange were from Mcmaster-Carr, the arm was a standard arm package with an extender optional part, no idea what brand that was but shouldn't be too hard to match it up. It had a heavy-ish old tech 27" LCD on it, so it can hold weight for sure. Might be for sale too, lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

forum software shit the bed, deleting extra post
    Last edited by Andy; 01-19-2017 at 04:41 PM.

I'd need to figure out a different base as bolting it to the maple floor night result in my untimely demise...

I'd need to figure out a different base as bolting it to the maple floor night result in my untimely demise...
    Yeah, that might attract unwanted attention for sure, lol

So I think I might have a good theory on my pain source. This was an entirely accidental discovery. My neurosurgeon's office has done my x-rays seated in my chair. In those images there's a slight s-kink at T12/L1. This week my PMNR did x-rays but these were lying on a table and no s-kink. I figure, and PMNR Doc agrees, that my lack of trunk muscle function, coupled with a poor chair fit, is causing pain-inducing posture problems. I'm not sure how to fix this but a more opened back like Oddity suggested should help.

...or I could buy that $6k supine Altwork desk...

I work at my desk long hours and have found that by raising my screen to eye level and leaving the keyboard at chair level helps to alleviate the pain. Your shoulders need to be level and if they are raised then you are putting stress on your neck, back etc... I also take breaks every hour and use bands to stretch out my arms and squeezy balls to stretch out fingers when I feel tense. Spending a lot of money on equipment would be nice but then your profit margin will definitely be affected in the end.

...or I could buy that $6k supine Altwork desk...
    Now that thing is cool, I think you should get that!

Interesting xray discovery for sure. FWIW, I've observed that pain issues below the injury level are typically some sort of transmitted issue that gets alleviated by addressing the 'alternate' problem, like needing to fart, take a dump, pressure release, move around after being still for too long, etc. Weird how the brain processes things with a wrecked nervous system for sure. But yeah, maybe pursue that spinal thing to see if that is the cause of what you are experiencing.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that thing is cool! I'm sure a nice 'Dad recliner' and a floor mounted monitor stand could do a decent approximation of that setup.

re:94deg back. That's not a ton, but I normally use an ~12" 89deg back. It seems like a lot of recline to me! Especially set ~19" high!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

How are you measuring the angle? To floor or to seat pan?