Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wintertime Blues

While we have had a fairly warm winter (so far), it has been incredibly wet. I have ruts in the driveway from turning the van around to discharge on the concrete. We did get one ice/snow event last month and I introduced my husband to the use of kitty litter instead of ice to get traction to move your vehicle. He wanted to spread water softener salt to melt the ice under his car. I told him that my yard and provably his tires would prefer he use the kitty litter.

Ry only wears shorts. End of conversation. It can be 20 degrees and windy and he wears shorts to school or therapy. He gets several comments in his travels but is too polite to tell people the truth. It is too hard to use a urinal with long pants.

They good news is that tomato and pepper plants are 2-4 inches tall. Spring will be here someday.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Winter sucks goat balls! Fck u winter!

After I wrote this, the weather warmed up and we were blessed with Spring like temps throughout February which is unheardof!

It's cold again. -6 C last night. LOL Only a month more and then Spring will be here. March - in like a lion and out like a lamb.

Next winter, I'm going to make sure I have one of those daytime lights.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'm no fan of short grey days - ROLL ON SPRING!

We had 83 degrees on Wednesday and Thursday. Yesterday is made it to 50 (I think) and today we might hit above 40. What the hell. It is going to be in the 70's again mid week but then the roller coaster continues. Thankfully, the only precip is scheduled for the warm days. With last night and the next two scheduled to be well below freezing, I am thankful that I refrained from putting out my baby lettuces and planting the peas-I was very tempted. We have a new local weather dude in the mornings and he has yet to catch on to the fact that the weather and rain patterns are very different around the region. Technically, the airport did not receive as much rain as a normal February so he tells us every morning that we are in a drought. I laugh and yell at the TV that he needs to check out the water in my ditches (already put new mosquito dunks in), and the mud in my driveway and yard. A week ago, Ry had his visit regarding his consumer directed waiver. I told the woman to turn around on the concrete beside the van and not to try to back out of my driveway visibility sucks and people are flying. She chose to use the yard on the other side of the van and got her monster SUV stuck in the yard. Me neighbor helped pull her out but this is not drought conditions to me. I have upped my light usage for the winter. I buy different, higher wattage bulbs for the winter. My husband says I am lighting a runway but Ryan and I spend so much time indoors that I have noticed the difference. Vitamin D pills also help a whole lot. Plus, they are cheap and easy.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Last Saturday? 60 f. Today? -20 f. Please get me off this wild ride!

Everyone spray freon into the atmosphere now! lol
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    After I wrote this, the weather warmed up and we were blessed with Spring like temps throughout February which is unheardof!

It's cold again. -6 C last night. LOL Only a month more and then Spring will be here. March - in like a lion and out like a lamb.

Next winter, I'm going to make sure I have one of those daytime lights.
    Vitamin D 10,000 IU daily during the winter will help, also maybe some L-carnitine will perk you up. I do 10,000 IU of D daily in the winter, every other day in the Spring/Summer.

Before starting and while taking Vitamin D supplements you should have your blood tested for Vit. D level. The blood test that measures vitamin D is called a 25(OH)D blood test and need to be ordered by your doctor. If your Vit. D blood level is above 100 ng/ml you are getting too much Vit. D. You get Vit. D in supplements like multiple vitamins, some calcium supplements, fortified foods and beverages, and exposing your skin to day/sun light. If you are taking high doses of supplements, you should have your this blood test twice a year. Vit. D can build to toxic levels in your blood and cause health problems.

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    Today was frigid and extremely windy. We still have a few feet of snow on the ground in places, and by the end of the week it's going to be in the mid-50's. I get myself through Jan-Feb by telling (lying) myself that spring starts in March. Technically, yes, it does, but it's not usually the green grass, happy flowers and bouncing bunnies type affair. It's snow, wind, and rising temps that turn into MUD season. At least it's warmer and the days are longer, but I may give up on trying to keep my floors clean
    49 year old female
    married
    chair user since 2009 from a neurological disorder