Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wintertime Blues

Wintertime Blues

I find this time of year to be absolute dreck. I know I'm floating in a little depression and that it'll lift etc ... been through this cycle enough to know ... but man. Not working has made it all the worse.

I start projects and never finish. I'm either binge eating or not eating at all.

If it isn't so cold that it would be unsafe for my paralyzed toes to be out there, considering all the trouble I've had with my feet - it's then raining and making it difficult as Emma (my doggie doo) won't walk her precious Cavalier feet in the rain, lol.

I keep one friend close, others are the periphery and co-workers with idle chatter.

I signed up Emma to access her as a therapy dog to get me out visiting and meeting new people which I love - and I love to make people laugh - but man it's tough at this time of year!

Who's with me!?!
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    I hate winter. I like doing things outside or out in my garage workshop. But it's too cold in the winter to enjoy either (and I live in California). And, of course, the days are too short. I don't really get depressed from it; just frantically bored.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

SAD (seasonal affective disorder) is a recognized psychiatric disorder, and there are treatments available. Have you discussed this with your physician provider?? It is more common in parts of the world where you have fairly short daylight periods each day (such as Canada and Alaska).

(KLD)

Unless you live in California where we have suffered 5-6 years of drought. Dark, gray days are a blessing. And, when it does rain in the lower levels and snows in the higher elevations, you just want to go out and dance in it!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    ...- but man it's tough at this time of year! Who's with me!?!
    You know before this wheelchair crap, winters weren't so tough. I'd just get wet, change my clothes and get wet again. But now it's a struggle getting upright the first time in bed to put my clothes on. Why would I risk needing to change them? Yeah winter sucks.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Unless you live in California where we have suffered 5-6 years of drought. Dark, gray days are a blessing. And, when it does rain in the lower levels and snows in the higher elevations, you just want to go out and dance in it!
    What are you talking about? Darkness sucks too.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    What are you talking about? Darkness sucks too.
    Sucks! Not like the governmental and water utility restrictions of drought throughout the year, year on end. I'd live dark days for many months if it meant rain and no drought, not to have to worry about flushing toilets with saved water from warming up a shower, dish washing, GI showers, watering what plants I can with saved water and not see the rest of the plants in my garden shrivel and die in the summer months, not to worry about drinking water tasting funky because the local water utility is getting water from an inferior source.
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-19-2017 at 01:00 AM.

I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    SAD (seasonal affective disorder) is a recognized psychiatric disorder, and there are treatments available. Have you discussed this with your physician provider?? It is more common in parts of the world where you have fairly short daylight periods each day (such as Canada and Alaska).

(KLD)
    I'm in.

It's not SAD but the bitter sub zero temperatures, snow, driving in the snow, van won't start, more snow, van sliding door frozen closed, shoveling snow, even more snow, ice storm, people abusing handicap parking, furnace stops working, cold legs, more snow, cold temperatures, ice, ice, ice, 'chair and van tires need air in them, a doctor's visit 40 miles away, lake effect snow, you get a flat tire on the holiday weekend, a bolt breaks on your 'chair and you have to go out in the cold, ice snow and get another bolt, snow blower won't start, you freeze your hands in the parking lot getting to the store with all the slush and ice between your hand rim and tire, you have to drive out to pick up your prescriptions and no van accessible parking spots in the icy parking lot, more snow and 5 degrees outside.

(I know.) You get the picture?

It's not a psychiatric disorder it's just snow cold icy January every year!

January is always a difficult month to get through but I deal with the day to day added stress.

This not a rant but reality.

Ti
    snow storm
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Winter is tough. Take Vitamin D. In my testing years ago I was extremely deficient, it was explained that the drugs I take Baclofen, Clonidine and Midazolam plus the misc stuff I'm on and off for various issues really deplete D and with the reduced sunlight ... cheap, easy, helps me. I take 5,000IU 2x daily. -ket

Hang in there kiddo!! Last year I went 3 weeks without going out and vowed I'd never do that again. I bundle up and go to a store or mall for no reason but to get out of the house.