Thread: bike shorts

bike shorts

anyone wear bike shorts with the padding in the back was curious if the padding would cover the bony part of the butt to protect it from breakdown and sores

if you do what kind do you wear im looking around on the internet at some
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I wear bike/compression shorts, but without the padding. That looked like a way to get a pressure sore. I wear them, because I've had problems with shear injuries. They have helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I wear bike/compression shorts, but without the padding. That looked like a way to get a pressure sore. I wear them, because I've had problems with shear injuries. They have helped a lot.

i never thought of that maybe the padding isnt very good ive never seen a pair other than on internet but the shearing you talk of is helpful as i tend to hit my tire sometimes when transfering how does the tight kind prevent the shearing is it just cause there slicker
    Last edited by wheelin 48; 01-16-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    This is exactly why I wear bike shorts. They are wonderful, plus they seem to hold the flesh on my hips together better, kind of like my muscles used to.
    C5/C6

Quote Originally Posted by 47+years View Post
    This is exactly why I wear bike shorts. They are wonderful, plus they seem to hold the flesh on my hips together better, kind of like my muscles used to.
    do you wear the padded kind do you have certain brand you buy

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    i never thought of that maybe the padding isnt very good ive never seen a pair other than on internet but the shearing you talk of is helpful as i tend to hit my tire sometimes when transfering how does the tight kind prevent the shearing is it just cause there slicker
    Yea, I think its the slipperyness (is that a word) that helps, and my skin doesn't just hang to get caught on stuff. I don't get out of bed without them now.They help me get my pants off and on too!

The "padding" in bike shorts is called a chamois and is not actually for padding but for reduction of friction and chafing in one's nether regions as the legs pedal. That said, some chamois are reasonably thick and, while I doubt they would have enough pressure relief to prevent an ulcer, they might be very good for avoiding tire-induced injuries during transfers.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.